Charlotte could not read and write, neither could Mary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlotte could not read and write, neither could Mary

I now have the marriage certificate of Thomas Wilson and Charlotte Key and its evident that Charlotte was illiterate as the certificate says 'her mark' and the same for Mary Key (was this her sister, Mum or aunt). Charlotte's father was a William Key and was a blacksmith. The marriage took place in Hull in 1842.

The other witness was a William Watson, but I don't know whether he married into the family. The Thomas Wilson line has come to an end, as it would appear that he was illegitimate. Thomas Wilson was I think born abt 1821 and died 1874. Thomas and Charlotte were my great great grandparents. Question is, where do I go from here?

I wonder if this could be the family in the 1841 census - look's as if Mary could have been Charlotte's sister.

William E Key 42 - occupation Whitesmith
    Sarah Key 35
    Charlotte Key 15
    Mary Key 17
    Jane Key 10
    Harriett Key 7
    Richard Key 4
    William Key 2
    Joseph Key 1

Crown Court, Dock Street, Sculcoates

HO107; Piece 1232; Book: 15; Civil Parish: Sculcoates; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 4A; Folio: 14; Page: 20; Line: 13
    - Ancestry.co.uk
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, looks very likely to me too, as going from a white to a blacksmith, isn't such a jump in occupation is it?

Also the address for Charlotte is given as Dock Street on the marriage certificate.

Am I right in thinking its unlikely I will be able to go back further on Thomas' side in view of him being illegitimate?

Comment

Do you know where Charlotte was born? The 1841 census says that William, Sarah, Charlotte and Mary were not born in county.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
          Am I right in thinking its unlikely I will be able to go back further on Thomas' side in view of him being illegitimate?
          Very occasionally you might find the name of the reputed father in the baptism register.
          It might be worth checking bastardy bonds - OC did an article for the magazine about these.
          FTF Online Magazine - Bastardy Bonds

Other than that, I've no suggestions!
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Do you know where Charlotte was born? The 1841 census says that William, Sarah, Charlotte and Mary were not born in county.
            On the 1871 census when Charlotte was married (we have established the name of the father was infact Thomas not John), it looks like Merton, Lincolnshire. The reference if you'd like to look yourself is RG10 4792.

Comment

I think 1871 is Morton.

1861 census - shows place of birth as Moreton.
              RG9; Piece: 3594; Folio: 45; Page: 2
              - Ancestry.co.uk

1851 - Norton!
              HO107; Piece: 2320; Folio: 621; Page: 8
              Elaine

Comment

You may also find the name of his "reputed father" in the baptism records.

As he was born before 1835, the parish poor law authorities would be very keen to know who ought to be supporting him!

OC

Comment

I don't think my membership of ancestry will allow me to look at pre 1835 baptisms. I will have to give the IGI a try, unless some kind person can help me out.

Comment

The IGI do not normally transcribe sensitive information like this anyway, so you will need to go direct to the source, that is, the original parish registers.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      The IGI do not normally transcribe sensitive information like this anyway, so you will need to go direct to the source, that is, the original parish registers.

OC
                      Where would they be, the Hull records office?

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
                        its evident that Charlotte was illiterate as the certificate says 'her mark'
                        This is probably so at that date, but I'd be wary of assuming someone was "illiterate" just because they made a mark instead of signing.

Often, people who could sign their name adequately well chose not to. Sometimes it was lack of confidence, modesty or nervousness - they might be emotionally affected by the occasion, or intimidated by official documents.

Another factor is the respect people had for those in authority - if the squire, vicar, registrar or whoever told them to "make your mark there", then that's what they would do.

Comment

Blackberry is right - I have one or two who sign on one document and make their mark on another.

Also - something I only found out recently - often people could read but not write. At dame schools reading would be taught first - so they could read the Bible - then writing. So if you only had a little education you wouldn't get as far as writing - which let's face it, is a different skill.

Comment

Working...
                          X