Any ideas Antiques Artist ?? in 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas Antiques Artist ?? in 1911

a rellie is listed as being a Antique Artist on the 1911 census what do you think that means ???

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
    a rellie is listed as being a Antique Artist on the 1911 census what do you think that means ???
    Restorer??
    Brian

Comment

HI Val

Have you tried to google his name linked with this info to see if anything extra comes up for you about him and his Occ?
      WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        you're lucky you've found him .... think one of mine must be an escape artist ... :(
        Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Val, I found this in google books

The very names of real and imaginary Greek artists were counterfeited to give a colour to the deception, and to increase the ignoble gains derived from it. Anyone who has made gems a study must have noticed, among the public and private collections of Europe, reiterated cases of' a particular subject treated in repetition, not with the slight variation which the antique artist always allowed himself when he copied, whether from a painting, a statue, or a bas-relief, but in a spirit-of intentional and servile copying, whereby the subject has been several times repeated, so as often to leave even the skilful critic at a loss to declare which, among many, was the original.

While the great and wealthy were, during the last centurv, vicing with one another in collecting gems, it was no wonder that the market should be supplied with them, even though ' antique ' works had to be manufactured to order—-a process all the more easy in proportion as the detection of the fraud was difficult; for, in fact, it was next to impossible to detect what- was genuine among so many counterfeits, in an age so thoroughly uncritical. The wheel of Sirletti' at one time, and that of Riga at another, and indeed of a host of most skilful artists at all times in the last century, were busy in producing' such counterfeits: copies of a gem being repeatedly made by the same artist, and distributed to eager collectors or to the hungry agents who supplied them.

Source: The Edinburgh Review By Sydney Smith

- so possibly someone who produced goods made to look like antiques?
          Elaine

Comment

thanks everyone ,its a she ??? Wendy thats why I am surprised .
            Brian you could be right .
            Lass there is one person I cannot find have tried every variaton I can think of I'm wondering if her mother just did not put her name down ?? as she was unmarried .

Comment

thats interesting Elaine and quite possible as its one of my Guttentags ooer.
              Last edited by Guest; 19-06-09, 10:36.

Comment

Val

From the article Elaine has posted in her reply above, I read it to mean that Antique Artist was a respectable undertaking - the copies were done with no intent to deceive, unlike a Forger, lol.

Mind you, you would have to be good at the first before you could be the second!

OC

Comment

have edited it OC as your probably right. But they were a shady lot .

Comment

Working...
                  X