Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of Who Do We Think You Are? 18 June is ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of Who Do We Think You Are? 18 June is ...

PaulC

Well done Paul. I hope you get a few brickwalls knocked down
    Barbara

Congratulations Paul hope you get those problems solved go get them dear ;;;
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Oh no,
      I have just been doing a bit with Paul on the Scotlands People Charges thread and now he is off line - I hope he knows about his good luck.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

wow amazing............I'll have a think and post my brickwall up later, so keep watching...........thank you so much
        My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Well done paul, hope it comes crashing down for you.
          Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Right I am not sure if this comes under the remit of what is in the realms of possibility for you geniuses, but i will set you a challenge, if this is not practical, then i will pose another. Apologies for it being a bit lengthy but thought it best to give all the facts.

I have been searching the Chiddicks name for a number of years now, the oldest Chiddicks being Samuel Chiddicks born appx 1761 who died aged 55 in South Fambridge, Essex. The many variants in name include Chiddick, chiddock, chittick, chitticks, chittocks etc to name but a few. My family all originate from South fambridge in Essex. To throw a spanner in the works there are a family of Chitticks who originate from Foulness, which is nearby, but so far i have not connected the two families.

Right, I have a marriage for a Stephen Chiddicks on December 21st 1842 to a Jane Booman, both of full age, and the marriage took place in Pembroke Dock (the only migration away from Essex), Stephen's father is listed as Samuel. I also have a set of attestation papers for a Stephen Chiddicks who enlisted in the Royal marines on 14th march 1836, aged 18 years 11 months, who's birth is listed as Foulness, Rochford. With this I also have Stephen's sons papers, namely Jospeh Chiddicks. Stephen is later pensioned out of the services and appears on census returns with his wife Jane, in 1861, 1871, 1881 living in the Chatham area of Kent, i have copies of all these which confirm jane as being born in Roach, Pembroke and Stephen being born in Rochford. The problem I have is with Stephen's birth and father. On the marriage cert it is listed as Samuel, the only Stephen that I have that fits the bill is;
            Baptised 23/03/1817 Stephen Chittock of William / Elizabeth Labourer Foulness. This fits the dates on the attestation.
            My question is; Is there only one Stephen in this equation and either the father on the marriage cert is wrong, or the father listed in the Foulness records is wrong, are there two different Stephens and if so, where is the baptism for Stephen son of Samuel.

if this is too much to ask, i will endeavour to find a rather less arduous task............but here's hoping.........xxxx

Comment

This one is going to be quite difficult, so if you have any more problems, you may as well post them too.

What was the occupation given for Samuel on Stephen's marriage cert? Who were the witnesses?

Have you been able to look at parish records for the area, or are you relying on the IGI?

Comment

Just remembered that Essex Parish Registers are now online - there was a thread about it recently. I haven't looked at the site yet, because I don't have anyone in Essex, but it should be worth a look:

Essex County Council - Seax- Essex archives on-line

Have you investigated the Foulness family to see if there was a Stephen?

Edit: just had a quick look, and the Foulness PRs seem to be online there, but not Fambridge.

Comment

The record for Stephen on IGI is a submitted one so possibly not correct. You need to check the PRs for this birth.
                  Do you have Stephen on the 1841 census at all?
                  Margaret

Comment

I had a look for Jane Booman in 1841 and can't see any in Wales. There are quite a few Boomans in Kent and thereabouts though. Just thought that might be a line to follow to see if there's a tree elsewhere that could give you help.
                    Margaret

Comment

I'll try and answer a few of the questions raised...........

Mary............Samuel's occupation was listed as a Labourer, I have transcribed all the Foulness records and the only one that fits is the one I mentioned before, Baptised 23/03/1817 Stephen Chittock of William / Elizabeth Labourer Foulness. I also have microfiche copies of all the South Fambridge registers, they are difficult to read, but I cannot find any matches there either. I will re-check the Foulness records as they are now online in case I transcribed them incorrectly.

Margaret.............Interesting the Booman connection with kent, as that is where they ultimately ended up when Stephen was pensioned off. I have not found Stephen on 1841 census.

Comment

I can always set another one that on the face of it appears easy, but frustratingly not so for me.

I am missing the 1911 census for John Edwin Barnes, born 17 Mar 1890 in Poplar, London. he died 25 April 1915 in WW1 at Gallipoli, Turkey. He married Lizzie daniels 27 Oct 1909 in Dublin, Ireland, Lizzie was born in Dublin. Lizzie Daniels was listed on the 1911 census for Dublin, address 7, Woodfield Place Dublin.
                        Frustrating for me is that I cant find John Edwin Barnes listed anywhere.

I have tried many types of search on Ancestry all to no avail. He could have already been enlisted in the Army by then, so could be possibly anywhere. he could be listed in either Poplar or Dublin, but due to a transcription, I have been unable to find him, or of course he may have slipped the net completely, but its still bugging me that i cant find him...........hope this is an easier problem to solve

Comment

Here are Stephen and Jane Chiddix in 1851, living in Chatham. Stephen says he was born in Foulness, Jane was born in Wales. Their son Joseph aged 6 was also born in Wales.

Class: HO107; Piece: 1611; Folio: 266; Page: 32

Comment

Is Lizzie shown under her married name on the 1911 Dublin census?

Comment

Thanks Mary, I didnt have that, I just cant make the link, between the Foulness birth and the marriage cert which states a different father, so frustrating really

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                Is Lizzie shown under her married name on the 1911 Dublin census?
                                yes, she is listed as Lizze Barnes

Comment

Have you checked the new Overseas Military records on the UK 1911 census? There are two John Edward Barnes and an Edwin Barnes of about the right age. If I put London as a birthplace, nothing comes up, but Edwin at least might be worth checking out.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                                    yes, she is listed as Lizze Barnes
                                    OK, just wondered, as you said Lizzie Daniels. Is she living with anyone else?

Comment

Jane McDonald and Jane Asplin

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                        Have you checked the new Overseas Military records on the UK 1911 census? There are two John Edward Barnes and an Edwin Barnes of about the right age. If I put London as a birthplace, nothing comes up, but Edwin at least might be worth checking out.
                                        I did begin to wonder if he was already enlisted in the Army, but I have not got the date that he enlisted, ill look into the two that you mention

Comment

Working...
                                        X