Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM - correcting errors of the past

Hi
    Grateful if anyone can help. I hurtled into Ancestry.co.uk 12 months ago and built up quite a tree with connections to census etc. 1370 people (for wife and I).

Wanting to de-couple myself a little I now have FTM 09 and imported my Ancestry ged into it. This has 2 issues.

1. Though I've retained the source info I've lost the actual link to the right census image for each census/person. I sense I should resign myself to having to re-do every link for every census for each person. Or have I missed a quick way?

2. On Ancestry web my census enteries I identified as 'residence' with date , the location I used as full address house no, street, location and the description field I used for occupation and other interest points. This simplified the view. Seems this was wrong thing to do as now 99% of the imported GED in FTM is now flagged as unresolved places. Only solution seems to re-do every entry as Residence - date (of census) , place and use description field for number and street AND then insert a new fact for each person for each census attrributed to occupation. Thats one big ouch in terms of time! Any quicker fixes? Why isn't there a single fact that holds key census data of name, full address and occupaton. Seems silly. Also putting house number and street in desciption field of residence leaves entry looking weird with a '/' in between and the house n street coming after the town, county.

oh and one last thing ! - If I have an unresolved location in places. why can't I relocate the pin and say thats the place ?

I know - daft problems I've caused myself!

Expect answers are stop moaning and get typing !

Sigh.

All best
    J

Not sure I can help a lot as I use FTM 2006 in preference to 2008/9!

First point -loss of link to census image. These would not be transferred via a GEDCOM file so you would need to recreate them.

Second point - I think this is what put me off 2009 from the start. When I transferred my file into it the locations were unrecongised and some of facts I had added in 2006 seemed to appear in the wrong boxes in 2009. I really haven´t got any answers for you - but you might find something relevant in the Family Tree Maker online help centre - I´ve typed location in the search box and there seem to be a couple of answers which might be of interest.

Find Answers (Page 1 of 11)
    Elaine

Comment

.. and by the way, welcome to Family Tree Forum.
      Elaine

Comment

I found similar problems when I swapped from FTM 2005 to 2009.

I spent several weeks retyping it all and I'm still not satisfied with the reports it creates...

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
          I found similar problems when I swapped from FTM 2005 to 2009.

I spent several weeks retyping it all and I'm still not satisfied with the reports it creates...
          Yes!! me too!

I haven't done much 'proper' research since last autumn when I got my FTM 2009. But oh well, I'm nearly there now, retyping and moving information about. On the whole, I'm glad I stuck with it. But like Lindsay, not too satisfied with the reports.
          Sue

Comment

Many thanks Elaine

So people keep up beat I can confirm that I did get a major deja vu when I read the replies and this forum.

I started using Roots as my wife had bought it. After many trips to Forums I gave up.

Reading the FTM traffic its definately the case that nothings perfect.

Having tried both (and a few others) I am - at the moment - content that FTM is the better one for me.

Comment

Working...
            X