Face book and Family History.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face book and Family History.

I joined FB a couple of days ago and have started a closed Brewerton-Family History Group.
    I contacted people who are already were on my study on tribal pages and am now plowing my way through all the Brewertons on FB. Many are young but I have already had some good contacts.
    What was a surprise for me was how much there is regarding family history. GOONS has quite a bit of stuff and there are quite a few open groups.
    For example: Content Not Found | Facebook
    Jeanie
    The link works for me.
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

If you go to face book and search Family History there are a load of interesting looking groups.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

i have meet loads of unknown cousin on facebook but i do have un commom name we have a open group so can poeple find us as well
      not every one is young and it is surprising who is interested in family history
      wye surrey/london/birmingham
      lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
      hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
      ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
      herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
      armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Hello,I am on Facebook I did'nt know you could use it for family History can you advice how to go about it please thanks
        Granabella

Comment

Hi Granbella,
          Did you follow the link in my first post. This will also lead you to different groups. I will try and post some more.
          Searching for:

Comment

Try this: UK Surname Groups on Facebook | Facebook
            and

and
            Last edited by Jeanie with one n.; 18-06-09, 19:19.
            Searching for:

Comment

Just one piece of advice:

Though it is a closed group and not everyone on facebook can see it or access it, you do hand over all photos and whatever you put on there over to Facebook in terms of copyright. Anyone of the Facebook organisation can reproduce it without your consent.

Comment

Originally posted by kiki1982 View Post
                Just one piece of advice:

Though it is a closed group and not everyone on facebook can see it or access it, you do hand over all photos and whatever you put on there over to Facebook in terms of copyright. Anyone of the Facebook organisation can reproduce it without your consent.
                That's what 's stopped me from contacting ( likely relatives).
                Until you know for sure that they are related why should they have access to all your details.
                I think Facebook should address this issue.
                In my opinion.
                Edi.x.

Comment

You can go into your Privacy Settings and set who has access to your info. You can set it up so people only have access to your Basic Info, not your whole Profile. You can also set what people are able to see if they search for you.
                  Sarah

Comment

Working...
                  X