This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start up programs

Wondering if some of you computer technies can tell me do I need all these programs to run on start up or is there more I can disable please, takes ages to start and runs quite sluggish for 2yrs old comp ;;

borobabs passed away March 2018

Thank you very much for looking if not more much appreciated ;;;;

Comment

Programs loaded at start up will not slow your computer down during normal operation unless they are running in the background all the time. Open Task Manager and on the processes tab you can see what programs are running and what power they are using.
      Best Wishes
      Ron
      www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Ron according to that just 2 programs FTF and incredimail , but going by processes there is some funny number ones on there from high to low ;;

Comment

you need to look at what processes are runing and what power they are using. You are able to stop them running, be careful some of them are windows system files running. Memory and processor speed are what determines the speed at which your pc runs, the more things running, the more memory is used, the more memory used the slower your pc runs.
          Best Wishes
          Ron
          www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

ight on when I get back onmain comp will do screenshot of the processers and post it , thanks for your elp so far dear ;;

Comment

Here we go Ron ;;

Comment

Do you actually get all these screens when you start up your PC? I have never seen that number of screens on any PC that I have ever used - touch wood.

I just get the Welcome screen and then the Desktop Icons. I think we all expect our PC's to start up quickly after a while but I think there must be a limit and it is unlikely it would be an instant Start Up.
                Margaret N
                DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

No Margaret the 1st lot you get from writing in start up programs into the help and support part and it tells you how to open it up to see what is running , the second lot of pictures are from the task manager prossers part ;;all are screen shots ;;

Comment

Understand what you mean but I never had a look I have enough PC problems without looking at lists like that. That is High Tec stuff.

Good Luck,
                    Margaret N
                    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Thanks Margaret ;;;lol

Comment

Babs, one of the utilities I use is The Ultimate Troubleshooter. This looks at your startup programs and running processes and explains what they do and whether you need them to run. A friend of mine was having similar problems, which were solved when I installed TUT for her and went through the list of startups. Might be worth considering if you don't get a definitive reply here. And no, I'm not on commission! :D
                        Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Oh thanks for that Lorry, will keep that page listed just in case and have a look at that

Comment

Working...
                          X