X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Libary puts newspapers on-line

This was on BBC Breakfast this morning:

BBC NEWS | UK | Just click for a century of news

I haven't had time to investigate yet - I need to find out the coverage.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

British Newspapers - Home

Quite a reasonable collection of newspapers included by the look of things.
    Elaine

Comment

Isn't this just the pay-per-view version of the 19th c. part of the Gale site? There was a thread about it a while ago.

Comment

I have searched a very similar selection of newspapers some time ago - it rings a bell because it includes Aberdeen newspapers and that is where one of my branches is from.
        In fact I think they had a free period for a wee while.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I've just had a quick search and although there is an option for "Free Articles" none came up! I registered, as that seemed to be the only way to find out the cost - £6.99 for a 24hr pass (100 documents) or £9.99 for a 7 day pass (200 documents)

I haven't purchased a pass! But it looks very much like the Gale Newspaper trial to me.
          Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
            Isn't this just the pay-per-view version of the 19th c. part of the Gale site? There was a thread about it a while ago.
            I think you are right Mary. I've just compared the databases and they seem to be identical.
            So not such a good resource after all! :o
            Elaine

Comment

But thanks all the same - a good reminder of the site.
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

A bit disappointing - I thought it might be a new resource.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Tried to post earlier, but my internet connection let me down. (Just in case it suddenly appears!).

Hampshire Library Service allows its members to access the Gale site for free, from home. You just need your membership number and a pin number (from the library). I'm sure other areas do it too.

Comment

Worcestershire do as well
                    Jennie
                    Research: A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots .

Comment

Ive got a membership number and pin number for my local library but how do I go about it step by step thank you so much for any help

Comment

Originally posted by granabella View Post
                        Ive got a membership number and pin number for my local library but how do I go about it step by step thank you so much for any help
                        Need to know where you live so that we can look at the local library website for you.
                        If you don't want to disclose it on this thread then send me a pm and I will see what I can find out for you.
                        Elaine

Comment

If your local library hasn't got the facility for you to access the Gale newspapers from home (with your library card number) ask them if they would consider adding it.

I did and Cumbria Libraries did add it to their services - mind you they didn't tell me and I only found out when someone on here pointed it out :o

Anne

Comment

Thank you Elaine, & Anne I will pop to the library in the morning and see what they have and let you know the outcome.
                            Thanks again.
                            Granabella

Comment

Lancashire Libraries also offer free access to the Gale resource.
                              For your info, you don't have to live in Lancashire to join, just go to the LINK,
                              join, and they will send you your membership number
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X