FTF's Finest Hour!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTF's Finest Hour!

In February this year, a lady joined this site, almost by accident - she was surfing the net for suppliers for her business and chanced on FTF.

She asked if we could help her to find anything about her birth father - she knew absolutely nothing about him except his name, which wasn't quite John Smith, but might as well have been, it was so common!

A team of us have been helping her. We have run to over 5,000 posts and on the way have constructed a family tree for her and found several living relatives, some nice, one truly nasty. None of them even knew of her existence, and neither did they know anything of her father's existence. He died some years ago.

But today.....she has heard from a living relative, who not only knew her father but has a photo of him. They are to meet up next week.

Believe me, this was the hardest, most complicated chase I have ever witnessed but dogged determination on the part of many of the excellent researchers on this site got us there in the end.

I congratulate everyone involved in this search and I hope this post will give encouragement to those who feel they have too little information to even start a search.

This truly is FTF's Finest Hour!

OC

I have read and followed the threads about this search, and think you have done a fantastic job in tracing this family. I am sure that the photo will be the most treasured possesion for this person.

Well done all those who helped.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

As I said there.................absolutely brilliant..

Comment

It´s a remarkable story and I imagine there are quite a few FTF members who are shedding a tear tonight!

I think OC is right in that it is FTF´s finest hour - we have had some good success stories over the past couple of years, but I think this one has to rank as the best.

It´s been a long struggle for the dedicated group of researchers who have been helping, including OC. Well done to each and every one of you - it´s at times like this that I think we all feel proud to be part of FTF.
        Elaine

Comment

I doubt there is a dry eye among the FTF members tonight who have followed the threads. A truly fantastic story and the dedication of the members is astounding.
          Clare

Comment

OC

I have followed 'that' thread from day one and every day eagerly read the next instalment, it was like a good book you just couldn't put down and always hoped there would be a happy ending. Well the ending (if it is the end;)) is happy and had me in tears.

Thank you to everyone who helped in this research. You were all so doggedly determined to find a good ending, you are wonderful.

Jxx

Comment

What wonderful news this is. I have been following the thread since the beginning and have been amazed at what can be found 'out there'. Thanks to the dedicated team of researchers ;you must have been so frustrated at times.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I forgot to say - the member concerned originally asked if we thought a professional researcher would be a good idea and could anyone recommend one......I sincerely doubt if any professional researcher could/would have done what has been done on that thread.

It also demonstrates the power of team thinking, the pooling of ideas and the amazing individual research strengths of various members of FTF.

We took many wrong turns but every time we seemed stonewalled, a contributor to the thread would say "I wonder if..." and off we went again.

OC

Comment

Great story, gives the rest of us some hope. Keep searching.

Comment

I have been riveted with the progress of this search - well done to all who assisted. One evening I spent 2 hours just reading the posts.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Truly amazing, except for those of us who know how brilliant the people on FTF are, and how tenacious!

Well done all those who contributed. just shows the power of never ever giving up.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Ooh, fantastic - I hadn't looked at the thread for a couple of days, off to catch up now. Well done, everyone!

Comment

Brilliant news and well done to all you who worked on this case ;;;so pleased that at long last she will see what her father looked like and meet this member of the family ;;
                          pat on the back all round
                          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Brilliant work by all involved.
                            Jenny

Comment

Well done to all of you who took the time and had the patience to help. You are all a true inspiration to all of us trying to find our own "elusive" relatives.
                              [COLOR="Purple"][COLOR="darkorchid"]Thanks

Mystic.........

Comment

I've been following these threads since Feb and am delighted at the outcome!!

Well done to everyone involved!
                                Gillian
                                User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

As another "follower" I've been amazed at the way you have managed to put this very complicated family together. Congratulations to you all - what a wonderful outcome.

Jane

Comment

Hi
                                    I know how good you lot are (My Clarence) you are like a dog with a bone and not happy untill every avenue has been looked into.Give your selves a good pat on the back

Laura

Comment

I log on daily to catch up with The Thread,
                                      I have shared along with everyone be it The Researchers or viewers ,
                                      All the highs and lows, twists and turns and last night the ultimate goal that Wllaby wanted****FINDING A PHOTO OF HER DAD*******I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU ***
                                      eDI.X..

Comment

Like many others i have been facinated by this thread, i am in awe of what you have all achieved. I am so thrilled there is a photo of her father and hope this contact can fill in some more gaps for her

Coongratulations

Sylvia
                                        Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                                        Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                                        Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                        X