Essex PRs on line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essex PRs on line

I've just seen that Essex Archives now have all Parish Registers pre 1700 on line.

Essex County Council - Seax- Essex archives on-line
    Sue

Sue.................how do actually search them???

My Ketley family are from Essex and if I search Ketley I only get about 6 hits, none of mine. I know there were stacks of Ketleys.

Comment

Hi Libby - it's a very unwieldy website (I work for Essex Council so I shouldn't be suprised lol) I think you need to know the Parish where your ancestors are likely to be found.
      From the link above go into Seax then click on Essex Ancestors in the box on the right hand side. Then select the first letter of your town or village ie R for Romford which then gives a list of all the registers held. I picked one at random and it tells you which ones are digitised, from there its self explanatory but you just have to plough through page after page until you hopefully find what you're looking for!
      Good Luck
      Sue

Comment

Thanks Sue.............I'll try that.

Comment

Excellent. Unfortunately I am stuck at 1780's in two out of three of my Essex lines, but great the Records Office is doing this, really good quality scans too. Hope other Record Offices take same route.

Comment

I think it's worth noting that although they're saying that the digitised records are pre 1700 the few I've looked at go up to 1750's!
            Sue

Comment

Thanks for this Sue. I spent a couple of hours searching yesterday evening and found several useful entries for the uncommon name I am researching - now have to try and connect them up.
              Jenny

Comment

Thanks, Sue - should be useful for OH's lines.

I used it a couple of years ago when they only had a couple of parishes done, and though it's unwieldy the scans are good quality and you can track down what you're looking for eventually.

If only all other record offices were doing the same

Comment

I don't have anyone in Essex that far back, that I know of, but it is great that the images are viewable. I'm quite envious of those of you with family there.
                  Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                    I don't have anyone in Essex that far back, that I know of, but it is great that the images are viewable. I'm quite envious of those of you with family there.

Me too! Although I've lived in Essex nearly all my life I have no ancestors here:(
                    OH on the other hand......:D
                    Sue

Comment

Temporarily unavailable for me at the moment. :(

It sounds as if it's a bit like the Medway CityArk. If so, you need to note image numbers and start/end dates, so that you don't duplicate searches, and so that you know how far to jump if you don't get a Hit straight off.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                      X