Finding GGmother Winifred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding GGmother Winifred

Can anyone help find information about Winifred Hale nee Harlow,she is shown in the 1871 census in Islington I have not found a trace of her before or after.
    any suggestions would be most welcome
    WillG.

Hi Will, could you just confirm the details? I can't see a Winifred Hale living in Islington in 1871.

Comment

I was just about to say the same :D

What other info can you give us ?

Date and place of birth ?
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I've checked FreeBMD and the IGI, and there isn't a single Winifred Harlow born before 1877.

Comment

I just checked for a marriage on FreeBMD 1837 - 1920 ~ nothing
          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Where did the maiden name Harlow come from? One of the children's birth certificates?

Comment

Thank you for your time,in the. '71 census Winifred was given an age of 40 yrs, born in Ireland .I have noticed that on two sites ,the name was mis-transcribed as "Winnifred" And "Winford"
              " Does this help?

Comment

The only Win* on Ancestry who's aged 40, born in Ireland and living in Islington is Winford Amell, living with husband James and children, but I've looked at the image, and although the Christian name looks like Winifred, the surname looks nothing like Hale - might be Arnell.

What other information do you have about her?

Comment

Hang about, this is the marriage of that couple:

Marriages Sep 1861
                  Arnell James Islington 1b 291
                  HARLOW Winnifred Islington 1b 291

So it looks like the one you wanted.

Where did you find the names Hale and Harlow?

Comment

Unfortunately I have no other information I do wonder if she married again and changed her name

Comment

The names Harlow and Arnell and Hale ,are all family names handed down through time as there was nothing recorded other than a few birth certificates,But none for Harlow.There is no family member alive that can give me more information.

Comment

So who are you descended from?

The children living with Winifred and James Arnell in 1871 were Mary Ann (9), Julia (5), James (3) and Walter (18 months), all born in Islington, as was James.

Comment

Mary Ann was my grandmother she died in 1949, it was from her that I learned as a boy of the various members of the family. It is likely that after the passage of time some of the information has become muddled,howeverthe information that you found is definitely my family ,I knew Julia,(her husband was one of the last farriers in London). and brother Walter went to Canada .
                          Thank you for your help.WillG

Comment

OK, so at least we know we're looking at the right family.

If you want to go further back, you need to get the 1861 marriage cert of Winifred and James.

I can't see a remarriage for Winifred, but I haven't found a death so far, either.

Comment

Thank you ,I will do that.. I have been trying (without success)to find more information in GR but the site will no longer recognize my pdf reader. That's Life!

Comment

You can download the latest version of Acrobat Reader or Foxit free of charge to read pdf's.

Comment

Working...
                                X