Recent arrival in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent arrival in Australia

Does anybody know if there's any publicly available records that cover people who have emigrated to Australia in the last 5 years or less?

No, not that I know of. Your best bet is the phone book:

whitepages.com.au - Search for an Australian Business, Government or Person

The only other possibility is burials and obituaries if you think they may have died.

There are some recent obituaries here, but mainly for NSW:

Ryerson Index

Comment

Not sure whether recent electoral rolls are available to the public, but they aren't online.

Comment

Thanks Mary. This person is most definitely alive. Trouble is I don't know where in Australia they live. I've tried the phone book site but there are heaps of possibilities all over the country and with only an initial in the index that's too many to cope with. Maybe there will be another contact from the person and I can ask outright.

Comment

Have you tried googling their name, followed by site:au ? Or you could try Facebook.

Comment

The electoral rolls are available for viewing at the Electoral Office. However, I'm not sure if only the roll local to that area is available or all of them. Some people also can take their names off the electoral roll. They still have to vote, but it's a bit like having an unlisted number in the ohone directory.

If you have any idea of the area they lived in, try googling their name with the place on the .com.au site.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
              The electoral rolls are available for viewing at the Electoral Office. However, I'm not sure if only the roll local to that area is available or all of them. Some people also can take their names off the electoral roll. They still have to vote, but it's a bit like having an unlisted number in the ohone directory.

If you have any idea of the area they lived in, try googling their name with the place on the .com.au site.
              Thanks for the info Libby. We can do similar with electoral registers here too, you can choose not to be on the version that is sold to companies. This person exercised that right here and likely will have done so in Australia too.

Will just have to wait and see if further contact is made!

Comment

Mary and Libby,

Thanks for the tips. I've tried the au version of Google but I don't know enough yet to get good results.

Comment

The public can acces the whole of Australia electoral roll at the Electoral Office. I did it last year, it only gives full name and address and electorate, I think. As Libby said, some people can be excluded from the public access roll (like if you're famous, or for security reasons). The Electoral Roll is not available for commerical purposes and I think you have to have a good reason to be excluded from the list.

If they have asked to be excluded from that, its likely that they also have a "silent" phone number and so not appear in the whitepages.

Such very recent records are not generally available to protect one's privacy, so I think the only likely trace is going to be a trace on the internet. I was surprised the other day just how many posts I had made to different websites/mailing lists etc regarding a person in my family tree !!.

If you would like me to go to the Electoral Office and look , it would only take ten minutes - its quite nearby, they don't ask questions about who or why - just pm the name.

Di
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia
                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

if they only arrived in the last 5 years are you sure they would be on the electoral role. its only aus citizens that are on there over the age of 18

perth

Comment

Thanks Di and Perth

I don't know if the person has become and Australian citizen or not and they don't have a middle name so there could be a lot of matches in the electoral roll. Thanks for the offer Di but I'd only be sending you on a wild goose chase.

As I said, I'll just have to hope the person makes contact again.

Comment

You are right Perth Tiger, I had forgotten that. A large percentage of immigrants don't take Australian citizenship immediately, or even at all.

Di
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia
                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi . I am on the Electoral Role in Queensland Australia and am still a "Pom" still hold a UK passport so do are all the family, all 4 of us were born in England, We love it here but will always be a " Pom's"
                          Sheilafromdownunder
                          I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

Working...
                          X