Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with image on Scotlandspeople

Hi All,

I have an image on SP but I'm having trouble deciphering the corrected entry on it, I have the gist of the entry but can't quite work out all of the words.

John Rome born 1855 Dumfries.
    (Only one comes up on the search).

Wondered if anyone on here might be able to help fill in the blanks?

Here is what I have so far-

In an action relating to the paternity of a child named John Bell born the 24th of November 1855 of the .......? of Fanny Bell, Port Street Annan against Andrew Rome Joiner Wickethorn parish of Kirkpatrick-Fleming.
    the sherif court of Dumfries on the 8th of March 1858 found that the said child was the illegitimate child of the ......? aforesaid. March 28th 1859.

Thanks

Sorry Keptin - are we looking at births or wills or......I'm easily confused
    J

Comment

Originally posted by norwayjane View Post
      Sorry Keptin - are we looking at births or wills or......I'm easily confused
      J
      Sorry J,

It's births, I should have made that clear.

Comment

Not getting on too well with this!

I would alter one word you have transcribed - .......24th November 1855, at the ............ of Fanny Bell......

I would then read the missing word, which I think starts 'inst', to mean she was bringing the action. Does that make sense?

Stuck on the other word though, sorry.
        Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

Yes, thanks, that makes sense Shiela, lol, this could take some time.

Comment

I think if it says 'aforesaid' it means the person mentioned earlier so I would say the father of John Bell was adjudged to be Andrew Rome. The mother Fanny Bell brought the paternity suit and looks like she won!
            Margaret

Comment

Margaret, yes, I would agree with that. Its just wondering what the word is!!! (Or words are!!)
              Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

Hi Keptin,

The abbreviation inst. in this case means at the instance of, ie. the woman brought the case against the man.

Would you mind sending me a scan of the image and I'll see what I can do with the rest of it. PM me your email address if you want to do that.

It sounds to me like an RCE that you've got which the helpful folks at SP flag up when you search for a birth certificate. RCE = Register of Corrected Entries. All the ones I've come across are actions to prove paternity, even if the father's signature is already on the birth certificate along with the mother's. One can only assume that the the said fathers were not contributing financially to the child's upbringing!

Comment

Keptin, if the image is a bit iffy, you could email SP and then hopefully they'll rescan and send it to you. An 1855 birth is a real treasure!
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                  X