What is this occupation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this occupation?

I may have found a possible relative on the Sands today. The occupation and location fit stories and half memories of my Mum.

I have found the particular person on the 1930 and 1936 electoral roll and the occupation on the electoral rolls is "met."

Does anyone have any idea on what "met." is?

On the Sands directory the person I think may be my rellie is a Storekeeper.
    Kit

My first guess 'Met Office (Meteorological Office) weather and climate change forecasts'.

Meteorologist

I'm probably totally wrong though.

Comment

No idea Kit..

Can you post more details (or pm)

Comment

You could be right John. I have no idea.

It would be nice if met = store owner though. lol
        Kit

Comment

Tesco Metro - LOL !! ;):D

Comment

lol John. Pity this relative is not in the UK.
            Kit

Comment

Kit.....I think you missed my post...can you give us some more info.

Comment

Not knowing where this place is, this is just a wild guess, but could it be that some of the voters were qualified to vote in a metropolitan election and others only for a local district?

Comment

It's in Australia, Roger and Libby I did miss your post sorry.

I don't know how to put the image on here. I'll try to post the link.
                  Kit

Comment

- Ancestry.com.au

It's George Sydney Warren Blackmore.
                    Kit

Comment

Kit............the 1930 looks like 'met' but the 1936 looks more like 'mct'. If you check the other 'e's and 'c's on the lists, I seem to get the 'mct' possiblity.

Having said that, I still don't know what it means. Googling came up with lots of lists for abbreviations at various state libraries, etc.

The 1930 has a George Blackmore as well as George SW Blackmore and I think he could be one of the Sands lot as there aren't many second initials.

Comment

Metropolitan policeman? Not sure if they were called that in Sydney, though.

Was the tube already operating in Sydney in the 1930s, and would it have been called the Metro?

Comment

I don't think it's the Metro, Mary.

I'm not sure which George Kit is actually looking for.............if she's looking for a storekeeper George Blackmore or George SW Blackmore.

Comment

Sorry I've not been round much since I posted.

I'm trying to work out if George SW is the Geo S Storekeeper at Narellan.

George SW is my relative. The George on the electoral roll with George SW is his father.
                            Kit

Comment

Hi
                              I notice the link is to the Electoral Rolls, not Sands Directory. Its for the state Electorate of Georges River and Federal electorate of Parramatta (which is a bit weird, if you know your Sydney geography, but anyway). he is registered at Swannell Grange, Smarts Cres, Cronulla, along with George Blackmore and Rena Blackmore.

I cannot see him in the Sands Directories, can't think of any occupation except meteorologist which might fit.

No, don't think its the same one - Narellan is too far from Cronulla to travel every day in 1930. More likely that George SW travelled by train into Sydney for work. Narellan was/is across country to the west, a very small country town in the 1930s, no direct transport link, probably over 2 hours by car, then and now.

"George SW is my relative. The George on the electoral roll with George SW is his father"

Does that mean George the father is also your relative ? (he died 1930)

Di
                              Last edited by dicole; 19-06-09, 13:08.
                              Diane
                              Sydney Australia
                              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Yes Di, George Snr is also my relative, great grand uncle, from memory.

Someone in that family lived and worked at Narellan at some stage and George Snr and George SW's children are buried at Narellan.

If there was no other link to Narellan I would have disregarded the Sands.

I'll find the link for the Sands and people can have a look.

- Ancestry.com.au
                                Kit

Comment

Working...
                                X