Look what I have received today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what I have received today

About 10 days ago I googled the name of one of my Great Grandfathers and the area in which he lived.

I came up with a link to ebay.

I accessed the link and found that someone was selling an engraved pocket watch.

Knowing I had this Great Grandfathers death cert as well as info from the census about where he worked I know that the watch belonged to him.

The cost of the watch was quite high however there was something else that added to why I had to have it. It was presented to him on what would have been my birthday had I been alive back then.

After deliberation and emails to and from the seller I decided to buy it from him.

The watch arrived today. It was sent in the box and tissue it was wrapped in when it was found behind the fireplace of what was his property back in 1923 when the watch was presented to him. He still lived at the same address at the time of his death 10 years later.

Please see pictures below of the watch.

Richard Woods watch with inscription.jpg Richard Woods watch front.jpg
    Last edited by Fi & Lilly; 16-06-09, 20:27.
    Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

What an amazing find!

Comment

That's brilliant.

But one question I have is 'if the watch was found in a property that he once owned why wasn't it handed in and then passed on to his family or heirs? It clearly has his name on it'

Or are you saying that the family actually sold it after finding it?

Sorry I'm just curious.

Comment

How astounding - I'm not surprised you needed to buy it:D

Comment

the current owners of the house found it when renovating the house. They are not related to the family but dont worry it will stay part of the family from now on.
          Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

Wow, Fi! I am sure you will treasure this.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Brilliant Fi ;;;I to would have paid the earth for it that a marvellous google prize and now back with family as well ;;;
              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

and next week I will be receiving his obituary which has been found at the museum, from a newspaper, based in the village in which he lived.
                Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

Wow! What a fantastic, lucky find. Worth every penny you had to pay for it, I'll bet
                  Also for it to be in the original wrapping it was found in - maybe your Great Grandfather actually wrapped in in the tissue and box that it was found in. Wow again How exciting
                  My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Well, yes, a wonderful find...but I'm not sure I could have charged anyone myself, as you are a family member!

BTW is it a Waltham? It looks identical to mine (my great grandfather and father's).

OC

Comment

Fantastic Fi. Looks alot like the 'half hunter' my dad has which was his grandfathers.
                      Jay

Comment

What an amazing find!

Comment

It says Thos Russell and Sons. Liverpool on the dial. is that where yours says Waltham OC. It still ticks
                          Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

No, mine says Waltham on the dial.

However, Waltham did supply "blanks" to many jewellers, so it is likely that is where yours originated. Does it have a serial number? What does it say on the back of the watch, where you can see the works?

Waltham were respected American watch manufacturers (The American Watch Company, Massachusetts) - not absolute top notch but very good for the money. The gold content is American of course, marked "10c" which actually tests out at about 9ct gold.

Some of the Waltham imports were hall-marked in this country.

Mine still works too!

OC

Comment

Wow, Fi, that is amazing, you lucky girl
                              Rosi

We are the famous CFC

Comment

What a treasure! Congratulations!

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

it on the inside of the back cover it says MOON, TRADE MARK with a sun symbol between the 2 words, then a crescent moon symbol and a star symbol. then A.L.D Dennison , then watch case co. then it has numbers. I cant get into the back when the workings are.
                                  Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

Fi

There should be a fingernail hole just to the right hand side of the watch winder, that should let you into the watch workings.

ALDennison sounds like the watch case manufacturer not the watch manufacturer. The case and the watch do not match in mine either! I think the watches were imported uncased.

OC

Comment

I will see if someone at work can open the back. I am keeping it with me to show people I have told about it. Thanks OC and all who have shown interested in my find.

I would not have googled him or his place of living if I had not been off work and watching an antiques programme which was being filmed in the museum there.
                                      Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

A truly wonderful find, Fi, well done.
                                        Elizabeth
                                        Research Interests:
                                        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
                                        X