Bristol burials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristol burials

Can anyone tell me where I can any info on the Kingstreet (written as one word, but could be two) Baptist Church burial ground was. I have afew burials there in the early 1800s.

Also, the Baptist Burial Ground in Red Cross Street?

I have a stack of burials there.

I don't know if either of these still exist or if headstones would exist.

I do have two burials where the burial records are for Kingstreet Baptist Chapel and the headstones are at St Pauls, Bristol.

Had a search around with Google and a couple of choices are given, under the search Old King Street Baptist Church Bristol, but they offer very little information. Take a look at www.stiles-genealogy.co.uk - he seems to be a man who knows stuff.

I think there's more than one St Pauls church in Bristol, but the well known one is in the area of St Pauls, a well known area. This St Pauls was left for years and got into a very bad state, and was left derelict. Not too long ago it was renovated, nice to know it wasn't demolished, but it's no longer used as a church.
    For information on tombstones at St Pauls take a look at https://www.stiles-genealogy.co.uk/m...paultombstones
    Karen x

Comment

Bristol Burials

Old King Street Baptist was left standing after much bombing around it in WW2. When the Broadmead area was redeveloped in the 1950s the church was purchased by the council and demolished. It was rebuilt as Cairns Road Baptist in the Westbury Park district of Bristol - see Cairns Road Baptist Church
      The burial ground in Redcross Street was built over in the 1930s.
      As far as I'm aware no headstones survived.
      Mike Hampton

Comment

Thanks Karen and Mike.

Mike....I thought that might have happened from what I could find. I don't even know if they had headstones. They had the money, but not sure if Baptists at that time had them. I know some non-cons didn't believe in them.

Karen........I've got the couple from St Pauls.....thanks. It was in Brunswick Square, where they had a house.
        I'll check that other site now, haven't seen it before.

Comment

Baptists did have headstones - I found online transcriptions of the headstones in the cemetery where some of my Leicestershire ones were buried, and they're very informative.

It's also worth trying Google book search, because you'll often find Baptist magazines containing very useful obits for prominent Baptists. I've reconstructed a large part of the history of one of my families that way.

Comment

Thanks Mary............I think I have most of the info on this family, just wondered about headstones, but sounds like they don't exist any longer.

Comment

Working...
            X