FTMB file - how to open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTMB file - how to open

I've just received a file from a new family contact but I can't open it. It is an FTMB file which I have downloaded and saved into my Family Tree Maker files folder but every time I try to open it in FTM2006 it tells me it doesn't recognise the file.All my own FTM files end in FTMW. Trying to open it in Notepad or Word just produces a page of gobbledy-gook. I've never had a file in this format before; they are usually Gedcoms which I know how to deal with but this one's got me baffled. Any suggestions on how I can see this tree please before I have to write back and ask for a Gedcom?

Ann
    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

I think FTMB is a backup file for FTM 2008, which will not open in 2006 I'm afraid. i would ask the person to send you a gedcom file instead.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks a lot Wendy.

Ann
      Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

send it to me if you want and I'll convert it to a 2006 file or a gedom for you
        Best Wishes
        Ron
        www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Originally posted by Genealogy Printers View Post
          send it to me if you want and I'll convert it to a 2006 file or a gedom for you
          Thanks for that kind offer Ron...but I can't upload the file here as the extension isn't recognised as a valid one.It isn't in the list of valid extensions for this site. I'll get back to the person who sent it to me and ask for a Gedcom. I'm in his good books anyway because I have information about our mutual family that he has been searching for for years!

Ann
          Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

send it to me as an atachment to an e-mail, here's my e-mail address, info@genealogyprinters.com
            Best Wishes
            Ron
            www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Originally posted by Genealogy Printers View Post
              send it to me as an atachment to an e-mail, here's my e-mail address, info@genealogyprinters.com
              You're very kind Ron but I've had it as a Gedcom from the original sender now and have imported it into my FTM programme. Thank you for your offers of help.

Ann
              Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Working...
              X