Father's Day and GR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father's Day and GR

Have not paid a sub ( or used their site )for several years BUT they sent me a message today. Unbelievably crass - it suggests I might like to buy a sub for my Dad to celebrate Father's Day and enable him to research his family etc. My father died 60 years ago but I can't help wondering ( and worrying ) about any others receiving this whose father might have recently died and the effect it could have. Perhaps anyone who is a member might like to ' point out the error of their ways ' to them as hey need guidance.

BC
    That is so thoughtless of GR!
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

when you think of it as a marketing ploy, it is cold, because they're only thinking of making money.

on the hand, how are they supposed to know if members have deceased fathers? there are a lot of faults with gr, but this is just an honest mistake i think.

Comment

Our member Len, who is in his eighties, has also received this message - his father would now be 123 if he were still alive!

OK, GR, stick it in one of your flashing ads on the Home Page - but don't send out messages to individuals because, as kylejustin points out, you don't know if someone has just lost their father and you should have thought of that before you sent out a load of emails.

OC

Comment

The Ellis Island website does the same - for Mother's Day and Father's Day.

I hadn't thought about it in that light - but you're quite right, of course. It could be really devastating for someone who's recently bereaved.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes i got the email as well BC and i haven't been a member for years either.

Jean
            Last edited by Jean and Tonic; 17-06-09, 22:54.
            Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Thinking about it, though, is it very different from all the adverts in the shops?

I agree that it must be painful for anyone who's recently bereaved, but in bereavement you do have to deal with poignancies which arise from everyone else's life-goes-on situation.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That's true Christine but you can chose not to go to a shop or not to read the adverts.

It's a bit different to having it hit you from your inbox.
                Kit

Comment

I think that most of the copmmercial organisations send similar emails if they have your e-address. I certainly get them from Traidcraft, as well as from Ellis Island, as mentioned above. I have a feeling I've had them from John Lewis, too.

Christine

Comment

Someone in my family was widowed the day before father's day a few years ago. I hope that she does not receive this email.
                    Joy

Comment

Similar notification just appeared on Facebook too.

Who's your daddy? Help dad discover his DNA and family history for Father's Day.
                      Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 18-06-09, 11:56.

Comment

While I agree that father's day is everywhere at the moment I don't agree with the marketing angle that is being used. I'm not sure why, I just don't like it
                        Clare

Comment

Working...
                        X