Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find Ann Amelia Hunt for the 1861 census onwards

Hi,

I think I have found Ann Amelia Hunt born in Newington 1850 on the 1851 census. It shows John, born in Deptford and Jane, born in Lambeth as her parents. Try as I might, I have been unable to find the family in subsequent censuses. I have tried Hunt, Hart and Hurt and drawn a blank, has anyone any suggestions of what else I might try.

What about this family in 1861?

Piece: 354; Folio: 113; Page: 5;

Father's occupation is similar - parents' ages differ, but they did seem to be getting on a bit in 1851 for one child. Could jane have died & John remarried?
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

In 1851 Jane was 47, so it is possible she died and John remarried. Will have a look at your reference and then see.

Which year is this for, as what came up didn't seem to marry up.

In 1841 ref HO107 488 11, John could have been married to a Mary who was 40 and they had a child who was 5.
      Last edited by LorraineJ; 15-06-09, 16:42.

Comment

I think she is with her grandmother in 1861
        Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 152; Folio: 24; Page: 20; GSU roll: 542582
        Civil Parish is Stoke Newington.

Comment

The ref I posted was for 1861

In 1851 the John Hunt you quoted was a painter and glazier.
          The 1861 John was a house painter, which are similar trades.
          The 1841 John was a labourer.

The ages are out, but I wondered if the 1851 ages were correct, which is why I was querying them.

Do you know if Ann Amelia had siblings and where she came in the family?
          Did she marry? Do you know anything else about her family?

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Was she staying with her grandmother in 1861 - Stoke Newington?

Class: RG9; Piece: 152; Folio: 24; Page: 20

Ann Hunt 68
            Amelia Ann Hunt 14
            Louisa Hunt 20

It looks like Alan hit the Enter button before I did ..........
            Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

I dont know where Newington is in relation to Hackney but there is a birth reg for
              Amelia Ann Hunt, 2nd qtr 1847 on Hackney Vol 3, page 202.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                I dont know where Newington is in relation to Hackney but there is a birth reg for
                Amelia Ann Hunt, 2nd qtr 1847 on Hackney Vol 3, page 202.
                Newington on its own is south of the Thames whereas Hackney is north. There is a Stoke Newington right next to Hackney these days - don't know how long it's been known by this name.
                Margaret

Comment

I am really confused now. Ann Amelia Hunt was also known as Annie and she married Enoch Brown in Jun 1875 St Saviour.

I don't know whether she had siblings.

Do you think that it would be better to await the marriage certificate turning up, which will show the age of the father and his occupation and then we would have more to go on?
                  Last edited by LorraineJ; 15-06-09, 17:19.

Comment

There is also
                    Ann Amelia Hunt Sep qtr 1850 Newington

jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes - the marriage cert will confirm the name & occupation of Annie's father (but NOT his age.)

There are obviously several Ann/Ann Amelia/ Amelia Ann Hunts around and without any additional info, it is difficult to pinpoint the correct one.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have just had another thought, censuses when Ann Amelia aka Annie is married show her birthplace as Walworth, am I right in thinking this is part of Lambeth?

It will also be interesting to see whether there are any family members showing up as witnesses.

Comment

Let us know when the cert arrives and the details on it. We'll then have a few more clues to help us track down the right lady.
                          With regards to census info, it's not uncommon for some of it to be incorrect.
                          For one of my gt-gt gdfathers, only one out of 4 census returns gave correct place of birth. 1841 only gives whether or not born in county and the other 3 returns gave place of residence as place of birth.
                          Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                            Let us know when the cert arrives and the details on it. We'll then have a few more clues to help us track down the right lady.
                            With regards to census info, it's not uncommon for some of it to be incorrect.
                            For one of my gt-gt gdfathers, only one out of 4 census returns gave correct place of birth. 1841 only gives whether or not born in county and the other 3 returns gave place of residence as place of birth.
                            Jay
                            Will do, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
                              I am really confused now. Ann Amelia Hunt was also known as Annie and she married Enoch Brown in Jun 1875 St Saviour.
                              If that's St. Saviour Southwark, it's another parish south of the Thames.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                If that's St. Saviour Southwark, it's another parish south of the Thames.
                                Thats what I thought, but we will have to wait for the certificate to turn up.

Comment

Have now got in my possession the marriage certificate and it is for the right lady.

It shows her father as a John (and it looks like a Glevely) Hunt and he was a Foreman. The marriage took place in St John's Church, Walworth on 6th June 1875. A Jane Hunt shows up as one witness (it would appear from the 1851 census she is Ann's mother), a Charles Hunt the other. The couple getting married are Enoch Brown (whose father was a Factory Manager), he was a clerk and lived at 78 (b?)ate street and Ann was living at number 84.

Comment

Working...
                                  X