Date this photo please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date this photo please?

I've done it!!! However I may have done it twice on another thread so I'm going to try and delete the other

If anyone wants to improve it, they all had grey eyes, fair skin and fair hair. Would love to see G Grandfather sprussed up

All help welcome and big thanks to all who helped in the last thread and to those who may help with this one

x
    Last edited by Ginny; 15-06-09, 14:47.

Hi Ginny
    Now that you've mastered the art of getting your pics on here, I wonder if you might have another go at scanning this one ?

I know it will make you want to scream but if you could manage a better (larger) scan then the restore will be easier for us.

Close up your pic is quite pixellated which means that the detail is lost.

There are scanning instructions in the 'How To Guides' (+ my diagram on your other thread) and when you upload your pic to Photobucket DO make sure you have the file size option set to the maximum (1 megabyte for the free account).

Good luck ;)
    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

This is what it looks like close up

Really not good to work on with all the pixellation (messy blocks)
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Probably early 20th century. Their waistcoats do not have lapels, which 19th century ones did have.

It is a shame that they don't have starched collars because then it is easy to determine the period... Their cravats are definitely working class, but suits were pretty the same in 1900 through to WWI and even in the twenties.

The three men cannot have been very rich as they did not have starched collars or cuffs and are wearing caps rather than hats.

There is a film on YouTube of Petticoat Lane with kind of the same clothing of 1903, but it could easily be later...

Do you have any idea who the men could be? Their age might provide a clue...

Comment

There is a thread here http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/fo...showtopic=6332 at SheffieldHistory website, discussing a photograph taken by the same photographer during World War One. Somebody there has tracked him as Walter Rowland Moore , and he was operating from the premises on your photograph 236 Langsett Road from 1911-1925.

Comment

Just to add as personal opinion I think it was probably taken early on during Walter Moores time there. The style of the card generally fits much more with 1911-1914, than the later periods. I have a few picture of my great gran on similar cards dating 1909-1912.

Comment

Hi All

I have not been on here for a while so please accept my appologies for not getting back to you all.

Thanks for the help and advice. Rachel i see what you mean regarding the photo quality. I dont have a decent scanner so it doesnt give me fancy options on how I want it scanned....just plain old scan!

Richard/Kiki I think you are right about the time as from help on here I managed to find the photographer in the 1911 census. In the 1891census he was not a photograher so 2 + 2 must mean sometime after 1891 - 1906ish

This means that this photo must be my G Grandfather (sat down) and his 2 younger brothers, the youngest brother died in 1906.( I did not know if it was him and his 2 sons until you gave me advice but they were born 1897 and 1900 so it cant be)

They were steel workers as were most working class in Sheffield but just to add a little happy ending...John T went to New York with steel inventions and became a very very wealthy man..how cool is that. Oh and where did all the money go lol! I think the photo must have been just before his first trip out to NY in 1905

Thank You everyone, very helpful and also very friendly...unlike some places!

Ginny x

ps Rachel, can you recomend a decent scanner/printer for an average price?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginny View Post

ps Rachel, can you recomend a decent scanner/printer for an average price?

Hi Ginny
                I'm afraid I'm REALLY non-techy, so you'd need to ask on ? Computer help ?
                Or maybe start a thread on here ?

Is there anyone else who could do a scan for you ?

Comment

Thanks Rachel. I'll post another question...and here's me thinking yu know everything, my illution is shattered lol

x

Comment

Ginny I don't think it can be as early as 1905, because, at least according to the research done on the Sheffield forum, the photographer was not at that adress until 1911.

Comment

Now you've thrown a spanner in the works Richard!

how old do you think the men are. If its G Grandfathers brothers they were born around 1877/9 adn John T Whiteley (Middle) was born 1868

If its not his brothers then could it be my grandfather and his brother who are with John..b1897/1900?

Arghhhhhhhhh!

Comment

Working...
                      X