Elizabeth Alsop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elizabeth Alsop

Does anyone have access to parish records for Glossop/New mills area??

My gt x 4 grandmother was Elizabeth Alsop, who married Benjamin Thorp on 13th Nov 1827 in Glossop, Derbyshire.

From the censuses, we are told that Elizabeth was born in New Mills, Derbyshire, like her husband Benjamin.

Can anyone verify that, and tell me who her father was (from her wedding record)?

What census have you found her on and the year of her birth?
    GWEN

Comment

I think I just found them on the 1861 census with daughter and son-in-law is this them?
      RG9 Piece 2549, Folio 61, Page 24
      GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
        What census have you found her on and the year of her birth?
        Hi Gwen,

She is here on the 1841: (aged 30) living at New Mills in the hamlet of Beard?

Class: HO107; Piece 185; Book: 19; Folio: 45; Page: 9;

In 1851 she is here: (aged 41) living at 41 York Row, Howard Town, Glossop

Class: HO107; Piece: 2152; Folio: 11; Page: 14;

In 1861 she is still with Benjamin, but living with her daugher Martha Bowler and her husband at Fitzgallan? Street, Whitfield, Glossop. Elizabeth is aged 50 and is said to be born in New Mills, Derbyshire.

Class: RG9; Piece: 2549; Folio: 61; Page: 24;

In 1871 she is still living with her daughter Martha and family. It looks like Benjamin has died by this point.

Class: RG9; Piece: 2549; Folio: 61; Page: 24;

Comment

I think I just found them on the 1861 census with daughter and son-in-law is this them?
          RG9 Piece 2549, Folio 61, Page 24
          Yes!!

Comment

I am sorry I cannot find anything that leads me to her fathers name.
            GWEN

Comment

I am sorry I cannot find anything that leads me to her fathers name.
              Thanks for trying!

Comment

I have found a Joseph Alsop in the 1835 Pigot directory of New Mills - I wonder if there is any connection?
                Have also found a James (62) and Mary (52) Alsop in Glossop in 1841 census - they are right ages to be Elizabeth's parents??
                Last edited by castanea1985; 15-06-09, 00:01.

Comment

There are some parish records for Glossop and New Mills at Manchester Local Archives

Manchester City Council - Introduction
                  PAT

Comment

Working...
                  X