Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cemeteries and Gravestones! Daughter on a roll!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cemeteries and Gravestones! Daughter on a roll!

My daughter and her husband have been away for a few days and stayed with my sister-in-law north of York.

They set off at 6 pm for North Kent, but they are still stuck in a graveyard in Handsworth Yorkshire! First they went to a cemetery in Sheffield, but couldn't find the grave they wanted.

Ok, she said, we'll drive home now! But then they found Handsworth churchyard and she has just phoned.

She has found two Crosland graves with at least 14 people mentioned, and then she turned around and found Hiram Shaw and family. All OH's direct ancestors and families! She is so excited, but I don't think son-in-law is quite so impressed! They have a long drive and he has to get to work tomorrow.

I'm hoping her photos turn out well. She has found a couple of people we knew nothing about.

I wonder where she gets this obsession from.... :o
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

What a find! If only I could get my offspring to take an interest...

Comment

How lucky you are to have a daughter that shares your interest in graveyard searching!

My daughter calls me morbid!!

Lesley

Comment

She's just phoned for the 4th time - they bumped into the Vicar, who has given them a phone number to contact for more information. Apparently the church is really old and we are hoping there might be other treasures there.

I think I shall be planning a trip...

She has taken lots of photos, so I'm looking forward to those.

She has found at least 4 direct ancestors in this churchyard, so not bad, could be more!
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Oh, Wow! What a find! - and how good to be able to share your interest in family history - without that glazed expression appearing on the face of the person you're talking to!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Well least I have 1 daughter who is willing to drive me to out of the way places but alas she doesnt share me hobby, she just likes driving lol;;;lucky you having such a brilliant find by yours ;;
            borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              Oh, Wow! What a find! - and how good to be able to share your interest in family history - without that glazed expression appearing on the face of the person you're talking to!

Christine
              amen to that!! mum just goes, 'go away!!' and runs for the hills!!
              my aunt, and my grandmother's really enjoy it though.
              my paternal grandma has been researching since the 80's, but it was a family obsession since the first ancestors to arrive here!!
              my maternal grandmother is really enjoying what i've found, because she's always been interested, but has never had the means or the interest to do it herself. she does have a goldmine of info in her head though. if only i could find a way to get it.........

haha, i have quite a few cemeteries to trapeze through in western victoria!!
              lots of old, large family graves and headstones out there!

good luck with the info, elizabeth, and i hope you find some more!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                amen to that!! mum just goes, 'go away!!' and runs for the hills!!
                my aunt, and my grandmother's really enjoy it though.
                my paternal grandma has been researching since the 80's, but it was a family obsession since the first ancestors to arrive here!!
                my maternal grandmother is really enjoying what i've found, because she's always been interested, but has never had the means or the interest to do it herself. she does have a goldmine of info in her head though. if only i could find a way to get it.........

haha, i have quite a few cemeteries to trapeze through in western victoria!!
                lots of old, large family graves and headstones out there!

good luck with the info, elizabeth, and i hope you find some more!
                I've been putting all the information in my files. My daughter finally got back home at 12.30! She has sent me the photos - well at least some! She look 94!

It's given us quite a lot of extra information, and some dates of birth for people we haven't got certificates for.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

wow, that's a big goldmine, you really hit the jackpot!! looks like you'll be busy for a while.

Comment

94 photos, that's great. I also like trawling through graveyards. It gives you the strangest feeling when you stand near a gravestone of one of your ancestors. They may be just dust, but to you they are people. Graveyards really are an amazing source of information, and with members of the same family usually being placed together it makes it so much easier to find others. I am quite jealous of your find, I have never found more than three or four gravestones in one place. Jean

Comment

A fantastic find for you Elizabeth, well done to your daughter and her OH

Comment

wow, what a stroke of luck, should keep you busy for a while then ! what a lovely dau to take so many photo's, (want to swap?) nice to hear of wall or two crumbling

Comment

I hasten to add that not all the photos by any means were of family graves!

However, the graves she found came up with details such as:

Harriet Crosland, born 1858 in Handsworth, and still a spinster aged 32 on the 1891 census
                          married CHarles Cartwright, who is mentioned on the gravestone of Harriet's father Benjamin:

"Also of Charles Cartwright
                          Son in Law of the above
                          Benjamin Crosland
                          who died February 17th 1902 aged 45 years
                          Interred at Forest Hill Cemetery St Paul USA"

And then there is also a gravestone for Harriet and sons just across from her father's grave:

"IN LOVING MEMORY OF
                          HARRIET
                          DAUGHTER OF BENJAMIN CROSLAND
                          AND BELOVED WIDOW OF CHARLES CARTWRIGHT
                          AND LATE WIFE OF JOSHUA ROBERTS
                          (CARLTON GRANGE BATLEY)
                          DIED JAN. 15TH 1925,
                          AGED 66 YEARS.

BENJAMIN LISTER CARTWRIGHT
                          SON OF THE ABOVE
                          DIED SEPT 1ST 1945,
                          AGED 51 YEARS
                          CREMATED AT LAWNSWOOD LEEDS

ALSO COLIN CROSLAND CARTWRIGHT
                          SON OF THE ABOVE
                          HARRIET ROBERTS
                          DIED DEC 23RD 1951,
                          INTERRED AT CITY ROAD CEMETERY"

From the information on these, I googled and found the Cartwright family in the USA and also WWI papers for Colin.
                          I also found a divorce petition against Benjamin Lister Cartwright by Googling - it took me straight to the National Archives website.

I hadn't even realised that Harriet had married!
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

What a lot of exciting information Elizabeth! You must be thrilled to bits and I am SO jealous :o
                            Sue

Comment

That amazing! What a feast of info! :D

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                              X