What did they sound like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did they sound like?

I've just been listening to an old man (b1881) from my and my husband's ancestral village (Sutton in Sussex) on the Britsh Library site

Archival Sound Recordings - Survey of English Dialects

There are various examples from different counties

(I was actually googling for the sound that herons make, but that's another story - that's there as well though)

That's fascinating, Jill!

FIL was doing an imitation of his grandfather (born in Essex in the 1870s) a few weeks ago and he sounded very like the Essex recordings.

Er..what sound do herons make??

Comment

When on holiday in Prague I listened to an old man from Leigh, Lancs. who wondered why the citzens of Prague were so difficult to communicate with. I could barely understand him!
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        That's fascinating, Jill!

Er..what sound do herons make??
        Scary, very scary http://sounds.bl.uk/View.aspx?item=0...97-0700V0.xml# when you're in a quiet wood for a walk and aren't expecting it!

I'll be going back for more dialects, but the headphones have gone missing and the rest of the family don't appreciate it.
        Last edited by Jill on the A272; 14-06-09, 20:39. Reason: scary heron link

Comment

Did anyone ever see that little series about the ww1 prisoner of war recordings, and about finding the mens relatives, fascinating. By the way my g.uncle Charlie had a yorkshire accent so broad and used ancient dialect words,we often couldn't understand him. ....

Comment

My dad was from Cork and my wife just nodded whenever he spoke for about the first ten years she knew him!

Peter
            Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

A massive thanks Jill, just had a look & found a distant rellie!

Herbert Hodgson from Co Durham, his grandmother & my 2 x great grandfather were brother & sister.
              Jay

Comment

Brilliant....................I thought my Cornish lot might have been hard to understand....but they had nothing on OH's lot from Coniston....lol

Comment

I have a dvd called Gone to Burton about the migratery workers in the brewing industry in Burton in the 19th and early 20th century.

These were men from Norfolk and Suffolk, the Norkies, who worked in Burton during the winter months and then went back home for the summer months.

They were very very difficult to understand. My great grandfather was from Suffolk and he may have spoken just like them.

Comment

25 years ago was in Hopeman Bowling Club, not far from Elgin. One guy was very friendly towards me and my son only problem was we could not understand one word he said. This is the area where Fiona Bruce (BBC News) family comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post
                      A massive thanks Jill, just had a look & found a distant rellie!

Herbert Hodgson from Co Durham, his grandmother & my 2 x great grandfather were brother & sister.
                      Well I never! I love it when these co-incidences drop out of the sky

Comment

I wound my way back to the Home page for the sound archives. They have some amazing material there!

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have Hodgsons of Durham too, but not Herbert.
                          Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

my gran's born and raised in durham. she has a normal accent, it's clear, and most aussies can tell she's english. she'd probably sound australian to you lot now!!

my pop was very hard to understand. he had a thick yorkshire accent. my mum says she never had trouble understanding him, but her friends always did!!
                            gran was frequently translator, especially in the last few years, when he began to slur a bit. i cant imagine how my ancestors spoke. they must be difficult for me to understand!!

Comment

Working...
                            X