"The Leicester Project" runaway database CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Leicester Project" runaway database CD

I bought this useful database CD in January 2005 - for £20.49 (The CD itself was £19.99). It worked OK on the little PC we'd got for PC-only stuff, but we never tried it on a Mac. Because it takes up a lot of room, we didn't keep it loaded on the little PC laptop - besides, I'd got most of the info I thought I wanted at the time.

A recent batch of certs included one which confirmed a maiden name, so now I want to use the disk again. We have Parallel Desktop on our Mac laptop now, so it seemed reasonable to give it a try on the faster, more modern computer.

The CD wouldn't open properly, but wouldn't be ejected because it was "in use". OH is trying various tricks to induce it to cough up the goods.

Has anyone come across this problem before - and does anyone have any suggestions?

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 13-06-09, 16:50.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

We think there must be a corruption problem. It won't work even on the laptop on which it used to work.

I'll contact the Leicestershire & Rutland FHS, and see if they can help.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Look for a tiny hole on the CD Drive that a suitable object like a straightened out paper clip can be pushed into, this will activate the eject mechanism
      Best Wishes
      Ron
      www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Christine, if I have understood you correctly, this version 2005 ran. On which operating system? And independent of it, the programme changes since this time can cause much. Is there a new version of your programme, then? For Mac or Microsoft or another operating system?
        If only the CD is not read, or else there are, however, no changes, a clean cloth then takes and wipes the underside of the CD off. It often helps.
        Wolf

Comment

Many Thanks Ron! Vielen Dank, Wolf!

OH managed to persuade the disk to eject, eventually. It was just worrying when it was "hanging".

We've solved the problem the easiest way. Leicesteshire & Rutland Family History Society are about to send me new copy.

Christine

Comment

What's a runaway database?

Comment

Working...
            X