This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timeline

I don't know if anyone has noticed that the TIMELINE, kindly established by Caroline, is "Work in Progress". We plan to make it available to all after the weekend:

The Timeline - Family Tree Forum

I hope a few people have a little look at it. If you have any comments or suggestions we would be very pleased to receive them.

Jill, Delightful Dukkie and I have been having a lot of fun filling in the blanks, which we only started on Monday, so excuse us if it is missing any events you are interested in!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Very good Elizabeth!

How about the first draught of the Magna Carta in 1215 during the regin of King John? I think this lead to a conflict as he refused to sign it. It was then re-written in 1216 after the death of King John so, presumeably in the reign of Henry III but when William Marshal was regent. It was also re-written a few other times too. This all sounds a bit vague desn't it :D I really should brush up on my history :o

Edit: Oh flip! You've got it lol
    Jeanette
    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Jeanette, thanks for that!

I think we have rather been working backwards! Until a couple of days ago I had'nt really looked at the early centuries, but hope to get there!

Failing that, members will be welcome to make their own entries. We only ask that people check the facts/data as far as possible, and if they find a link to add that!

It's very addicitive.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Oh, Jeanette - it has ended in the wrong century - I'll fix it after lunch.

(OH has just prepared lunch for me - he knows I am in another world at present! :D:o :o)
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:

Comment

I didnt know that it wasn't already open to all.
          Jess

Comment

OH prepared my lunch too as I was far too busy doing a look up for someone :D

Oh yes, the thirteenth century seems to have started 16 years late :D
            Jeanette
            Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

That is really interesting, what a great idea....

Comment

It's looking good!
                Elaine

Comment

Fab. Well done all.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I would also like to say, it really really good, and it is going to be so useful to many people....it fab reading even if your not using it for research at that moment of time.....great well done;)..Lilly

Comment

What a good idea!

I've slotted in a couple of things - and removed the spare 1604 row which had migrated to be between 1609 and 1610. I trust that's OK.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I'm pleased that people are liking it.

As an experiment, I have started using bold font for entries of particular relevance to family historians - e.g. The Protestation Returns in 1641. This is to alert people to sources that could be consulted to further their research.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Great idea, & well put together.

How about mention of the Maori Wars 1845-1872, I came across mention of them when researching NZ, I think the British Army sent soldiers out there.

Here's a coulpe of info links

New Zealand land wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                          1845-72 New Zealand Colonial Wars / Maori Wars
                          ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Thanks, Louise.

We need to cover New Zealand and Australia in much more detail.

We also need to turn our attention to Scottish, Irish and Welsh history. I'm not quite sure what to do about Scottish kings from 843 - 1603. They will probably have to go in the last column.
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:

Comment

That's looking really good. Is there going to be a link to it from somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                That's looking really good. Is there going to be a link to it from somewhere?
                                As soon as they tell me they are ready, it will be linked all over the place in The Wiki.
                                Caroline
                                Caroline's Family History Pages
                                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

What a great resource - now when I think of a relative's birth I can have a look and get a feel of what was going on in the world at that time. Puts their life in perspective.
                                  Very well done and thanks for all your hard work.
                                  herky
                                  Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

LOL the only delay is learning how to add to the wiki LOL thank you for correcting my additions.....very slowly and not so surely :p

Comment

DD, you'll be fine - just copy the line above, altering where necessary!

Caroline is going to make it easily available tomorrow, which will be great.
                                      Elizabeth
                                      Research Interests:

Comment

It is now ready for everyone to use and has its own dedicated thread in the Wiki Community Board:

The Timeline Project

P.S. This thread will be sticked until the end of June ...
                                        Last edited by Caroline; 15-06-09, 10:27.
                                        Caroline
                                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                                        X