This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographs: ACTIONED: The Parish Church - South Featherstone, Yorkshire

Would love to have a photo of this church if anyone is near.

Never heard of South Featherstone.
    There is a photo of St Thomas, Featherstone on my web site at
    church
    Cheers
    Guy
    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
      Never heard of South Featherstone.
      There is a photo of St Thomas, Featherstone on my web site at
      church
      Cheers
      Guy
      Hi Guy,

I think, but I'm open to being corrected, that the Featherstone names have changed a little over the years. It may be that South Featherstone is now Featherstone and Featherstone, as it was, is now North Featherstone.

A couple of my ancestors were married in The Parish Church, South Featherstone, 1889.

Thankyou ever so much for the link to your website. Would you mind if I took a copy of St Thomas's Church for my tree? If it's a problem then not to worry, I will wait to see if anyone else takes a picture.

Comment

No problem at all.
        If it is the right church I will take a run over and try to get some pictures inside.
        Cheers
        Guy

Comment

Hi Guy,

Thank you for your offer, it's very kind.

I'm in the process of confirming if St Thomas is the right church. I do have a marriage certifcate but it's in the UK so have to ask someone to have a look at it. I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Comment

Sorry to butt in here but I think you will find that St Thomas's is the right one. It's listed here under South Featherstone - Purston with South Featherstone, St Thomas - West Yorkshire | Diocese of Wakefield

and on Genuki it explains how South Featherstone is now Featherstone - GENUKI: Featherstone
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you Chrissie. It doesn't actually say on the marriage certificate but I'm fairly confident that it's the correct one.

Comment

I took a run over to Featherstone yesterday but the church was locked.
                I have arranged access next week so will take some pictures inside then.
                Cheers
                Guy

Comment

That's wonderful Guy. Thank you ever so much for your time. It would be fantastic to have a peek inside where this particular couple of ancestors got married. :D

Comment

Still hoping to get a photo of St Thomas's, South Featherstone if anyone gets a chance please.

Comment

Geograph.org.uk
                      However, it insists it's South Yorkshire near Featherstone

Comment

Originally posted by greybird View Post
                        Geograph.org.uk
                        However, it insists it's South Yorkshire near Featherstone
                        Thanks greybird, I should have said Featherstone (it used to be South Featherstone). I'm actually sorted on the location now, just hoping for a photo if anyone gets the chance.

Comment

Nudge: Still hoping.

Comment

John, it is quite a long way from me but it might be an idea to send West Yorkshire Maggy a PM. She lives over that way.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Thank you very much for the info Tom :D but now we've got this new Research Offers/Requests system in place I think I'll wait a while to see if anything happens. I don't really want to impose myself on anyone, especially if they haven't advertised the fact that they are prepared to undertake requests.

Comment

Hello John, just found this thread, and yes I do live in Featherstone. If you still need photos of St. Thomas Church please get in touch and I'll see what I can do.

Maggy

Just found this one for starters for you

SE4220 :: Featherstone, St Thomas's Church, near to Purston Jaglin, Wakefield, England by Bill Henderson
                                Looking for Allinson, Barker, Bedford, Crosby, Emanuel, Glasby, Heseltine, Lister, Moorhouse, Morgan, Rees, Seymour, Sidwell, Summers, Tate, Turpin, Wilson

Comment

Hi Maggy, Yes please! That would be wonderful. I've sent you a PM. :Big Grin:

The reason why I haven't taken a picture from the internet was that I didn't want to worry about any copyright issues.

Comment

Thank you ever so much Maggy, the pictures are great! :Big Grin::Big Grin: I've sent you an email.

Request now actioned and I'm very happy. :Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin:

Comment

Glad they were ok for you John.

Maggy
                                      Looking for Allinson, Barker, Bedford, Crosby, Emanuel, Glasby, Heseltine, Lister, Moorhouse, Morgan, Rees, Seymour, Sidwell, Summers, Tate, Turpin, Wilson

Comment

Working...
                                      X