Just a thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a thought

A 'memories' column has been published every Wednesday in my local newspaper for years, it's often two full pages and so interesting with old pictures and the history of occupations and families that lived in the area centuries ago. If people see something about their family, they often write and article which is published the following Wednesday.

I use to keep all these pages until I was 'bogged down' with them, so now I only read them.

I know there's an Archive Newspaper link on Wiki but I couldn't see any link that would cover these type of articles. I'm sure other local newspapers must do the same thing. Many a time I've wanted to put something on a thread when a particular family name has been covered but they're much too big.

If there is a link on Wiki and I just can't see it...forget this (I'm not very good on Wiki)

Just thought I'd put this link up so you can see what I mean:
    North East History : Echo Memories

Just a thought
    Jean
    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

What an interesting site. I'm not much good on the Wiki either! The "search" didn't work for some reason, but I will definitely come back to this.

Comment

Derby has one too, my cousins partner had an article published,

ByGone Derbyshire - Bygone Derbyshire | Bygone Derbyshire
      Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
      Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
      Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

How interesting, I shall be taking a look too having ancestors coming from Durham and Derby.
        Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

We have something similar in our local paper too. They did a story on a local haulage firm of the past and there was my Grandad in the photo that accompanied the article. He was a lorry driver
          Jeanette
          Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

We have the same sort of thing in our local paper, but I don't think they have put this bit online.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

It would be brilliant if they were all on a thread.

Thanks Ozzie for the Derby link ..... I'll spend ages on that one.

Try this link Trina
              Chris Lloyd takes a weekly look at the history of Darlington and its surrounding villages in Echo Memories.

Jean
              Last edited by Jean and Tonic; 12-06-09, 22:02.
              Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Working...
              X