Archibald McKinnon ancestors??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archibald McKinnon ancestors??

Looking for some help in tracing my mothers paternal ancestors. I only get as far as my ggrandfather before I hit a problem. What I have as fact is Archibald McKinnon m. Margaret Campbell 15/02/1895 in Glasgow, I have the original m. certificate. On it it gives Archibald's father as John Mckinnon (labourer) & mother as Euphemia ms Beaton (deceased). Archibald & Margaret had two children, John(my g/f) b. 29/06/1895 & Charlotte b.09/04/1897. I have all 4 on the 1901 census.

Now the problem.
    I cannot find any trace of a John McKinnon/Euphemia Beaton marriage, I did find a Dugald/Euphemia and James McKinnon/Euphemia Beaton marriages but can't prove if these are my family.
    The oral tradition in the family is that this line goes back to the Isle of Coll. Any help would be much appreciated even if its just pointing me in the right direction.
    Last edited by BEARGER; 11-06-09, 21:18.

Hi my first thought is that the names James and John are swapped about alot by my scottish relatives ie gt grandfather was baptised James and called John
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

hi bearger, sorry I can't help you as I do not hav any subs for scotland, but there are a few people on here, who once see your post will be able to help!
      good luck!

Comment

I know its leaping ahead, but someone has done quite a bit of work on the McKinnons from Coll have a look here.

FamilySearch.org - Search

Nos 14 & 15
        Last edited by Southwick; 11-06-09, 21:51.

Comment

sorry, didn't realise i could access it on ancestry, what is archibalds age on the mc?

Comment

there are mcinnons on 'names being researched' here - isle of tiree/coll
            Isle of Tiree Genealogy
            Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
              sorry, didn't realise i could access it on ancestry, what is archibalds age on the mc?
              On ScotlandsPeople I'm pretty sure its 28 but on the tattered original scanned onto my pc its very hard to make out.

Comment

It's a while since I did my Scottish side but if I remember rightly, Scottish death certs give parents names (as known by the informants, of course!). If you got their deaths certs then that would be a cross check of their fathers' names as given on their marriage certs.

My first step would be to identify all the Euphemia Beatons on census before marriage and then come forwards with them. When did the two Euphemias marry?

I would also look for all the Archibalds before marriage to see who they were with. That sometimes sorts things out.

OC

Comment

Do you have Archibald's date of birth/birth cert? Would give parent's marriage details.

Had a quick look but cannot see it immediately.
                  Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dancing Sheila View Post
                    Do you have Archibald's date of birth/birth cert? Would give parent's marriage details.

Had a quick look but cannot see it immediately.
                    Afraid not. On his marriage cert it looks like aged 28 (1895) on the 1901 census its given as 36! Gives his birth place as Greenock Renfrewshire. His wife Margaret age ties up on both 22 on m. cert 28 on census. Both are given as Gaelic speakers.

Comment

Dugald & Euphemia (m 31/10/1857 Glasgow) did have a son Archibald born 19/9/1867 in Greenock.
                      Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

It might be worth remembering that Beaton is the anglisised version of Bethune.
                        l came to a complete halt with my Beatons until l found them under Bethune by accident.

Comment

Might be worth looking at Euphemia's death cert to see what treasure it holds.

Ref: 564/01 0105 - died 1871 aged 43 in Greenock.
                          Available on ScotlandsPeople.

Being impulsive, I bought the image. (If you want it, PM me your email addy )
                          She is the wife of Dugald. Perhaps these are the parents of your Archibald. Her name was Beaton.

Taking a leap of faith, I think this is her baptism record:
                          EUPHEMIA BEATON
                          Christening: 22 OCT 1826 Kilfinichen And Kilvickeon, Argyll, Scotland
                          Parents:
                          Father: DONALD BEATON
                          Mother: CIRSTY MCGILVRA
                          (from the IGI)
                          There are a few other children with these parents.
                          Last edited by Orangeblossom; 12-06-09, 14:12.
                          Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
                            Might be worth looking at Euphemia's death cert to see what treasure it holds.

Ref: 564/01 0105 - died 1871 aged 43 in Greenock.
                            Available on ScotlandsPeople.

Being impulsive, I bought the image. (If you want it, PM me your email addy )
                            She is the wife of Dugald. Perhaps these are the parents of your Archibald. Her name was Beaton.

Taking a leap of faith, I think this is her baptism record:
                            EUPHEMIA BEATON
                            Christening: 22 OCT 1826 Kilfinichen And Kilvickeon, Argyll, Scotland
                            Parents:
                            Father: DONALD BEATON
                            Mother: CIRSTY MCGILVRA
                            (from the IGI)
                            There are a few other children with these parents.

Thanks very much for your help. I will send you my email address via PM. I have Dugald's death cert. Ref: 564/03 0593 he died aged 46 on 21/07/1874 in the Poorhouse, Greenock. It does say he is the widower of Euphemia Beaton. My problem is I can't prove which couple are the parents of Archibald, I thought that Euphemia Beaton would be a rare name!! I have taken O.C. advice to look for Euphemia and her son Archibald on the census returns and work from there, so far no success. Thanks again.

Comment

Euphemia is a very common name in the Scotland of past. l have 12, all from the various lines of my grandmothers paternal tree, and all born Perthshire or Inverness, so it may be more used amongst the highland clans.
                              Last edited by Rebs; 13-06-09, 11:26.

Comment

OH's family from Skye also have a lot of Euphemias (and Floras)

Comment

yeah, my Floras are from Skye. Flora Bethune being one of them - their name was only changed to Beaton when they migrated to Australia with the highland clearance schemes.

Comment

ive only come across the name once. my family used mary, christina and rebecca a lot.

have you managed to find a marriage or death for the other archibald your researching? maybe you could prove whether you have the right couple for his parents?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                      ive only come across the name once. my family used mary, christina and rebecca a lot.

have you managed to find a marriage or death for the other archibald your researching? maybe you could prove whether you have the right couple for his parents?

I have the original marriage certificate for Archibald McKinnon & Margaret Campbell m. 15/02/1895 in Glasgow. its gives his parents as John McKinnon & Euphemia Beaton (deceased).
                                      I have found a death cert??? it gives father as Dugald. Could be another Archibald?

Comment

Bearger

Can you give the reference for the family in 1901, I cannot find them!

I am just trying to eliminate an Archibald I've found in 1871, mother Euphemia, father missing, but the sibs names include John and Charles. I'll see if I can track them backwards.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X