Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death cert help please.

Hi,

I have just received this death certificate, and I was wondering if someone could give me some help, with what it means.

Firstly, is the name in the cause of death Harry Ludlow? Also under the cause of death it looks like it says P.TW does anyone know what this means?

Secondly, in the signature, description and residence box it looks like it says "Certificate on inquest adjourned and not resumed". Does anyone know why this would happen?

I have attached the death cert showing cause of death and description box. The death was registered 1942.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Kelly.

Last edited by Kelly; 11-06-09, 11:47.

Hi

It looks to me like Harry Ladlow, Hibaldstow Lincs.

The initials at the bottom are PM. This is a post mortum and you could probably find info about the incident in the local paper.

Not sure about the other column.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Hi Lin,

Thank you for your help, it is truly appreciated.

Kelly.

Comment

Hi it reads
        Phenmococcal meninigtis resulting from a fracture of the base of the skull the result of being knocked down by Harry Ladluw Hibaldstow fines discharge by justices of manslaughter
        Pm (post mortum)

Certifaction anquet adjuorned and not resumed reicieved from Gervas C Wells Coll Cononer for the city of Lincoln

I think

Laura

Comment

Hi Laura,

Would this mean that Harry Ladlow wasn't charged with manslaughter. Also, why would an inquest be adjourned and then not resumed?

Kelly.
          Last edited by Kelly; 11-06-09, 13:31.

Comment

That's how I read it Hibaldstow, Lincs is where it happened, and the Magistrates have discharged Harry Ladlow of Manslaughter. Brings to mind the Who Do You Think You Are episode of Griff Rhys Jones, his great grandfathers certificate said almost exactly the same and he was able to find out a great deal about the case from the court records.

Comment

I think it might say Hibaldstow Lincs ( not fines) and it seems as if Harry was brought before the magistrates on a possible charge of manslaughter but the justices discharged him. Perhaps the accident was not deemed to be Harry's fault.

I would think (not an expert!!!) that the inquest was ajourned until the magistrates had come to their conclusion and then not resumed because they decided it was an accident. There's so little space to write it all - it must have been like trying to get a complex idea into a text message :p

Now you know the exact dates it would be worth looking in the local paper for a report. You would probably find copies or microfilmed newspapers at Lincoln archives.

Anne

Comment

Maybe Harry confessed to knocking him down and the resulting injury was deemed an accident, if no charges were subsequently pursued the inquest was adjourned and not finished as no longer needed.
                Alison

Comment

Hi Anne and Richard,

I can't remember the Griff Rhys Jones episode, I will go and have a google to see how he found the information.

I will contact Lincoln archives to see if they have the local newspapers there. I am hoping to visit Lincoln later this year so may be able to go and have a look. It would be great if there is a newspaper report, I would really love to know what happened.

Thank you again for your help.

Kelly.

Comment

Originally posted by herebedragons View Post
                    Maybe Harry confessed to knocking him down and the resulting injury was deemed an accident, if no charges were subsequently pursued the inquest was adjourned and not finished as no longer needed.
                    Hi Alison,

Thank you for your help as well, it is truly appreciated.

Kelly.

Comment

Kelly

This is from the BBC site:

"Returning eagerly to the trail of Daniel Price, Griff begins to uncover the truth behind the family story. Daniel's death certificate reveals that he died of a fractured skull - acquired during a fight in the street - nothing to do with a train crash! A manslaughter charge was brought against a certain John Thomas, but newspaper reports and witness statements from the trial give two very different accounts - was Daniel brutally set upon, or was he a drunkard and a troublemaker? At any rate, John Thomas was acquitted."

They used a combination of newspaper reports and the court records. As you see similar to yours, the man named on the death cert as the culprit was acquitted and on same charge Manslaughter.

Comment

Hi Richard,

Thank you for finding the info for me, it is very similar!

I am hoping that there may be a newspaper report now. Do you know how to access/search court records?

Kelly.

Comment

Not been down that route myself Kelly, but I imagine the Local Record Office, in this case Lincolnshire, would either hold them or if not know of how and where to obtain them.

Comment

Hi Richard,

Thank you for all of your help, it really is truly appreciated.

I will send the Lincolnshire record office an email to see if they can help.

Kelly.

Comment

If the records office don't have the newspapers they will probably be at the library. They are in Nottingham and I know some one who got a report from a library and they were only charged a small amount for the look-up.
                              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Hi Lin,

Thank you for your reply.

Are the Lincolnshire newspapers held at Nottingham? If they are I will contact them as well. I thought that they would have just been in Linconshire.

Sorry Lin, ignore the above I'm tired and brain isn't working properly. :o

You meant that the newspapers for Nottingham are held at Nottingham Library, so the Lincs ones may be at Lincolnshire library instead of the record office. :D

I will send an email to the Lincolnshire Library as well.

Kelly.
                                Last edited by Kelly; 11-06-09, 20:33.

Comment

Working...
                                X