Scottish help...??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish help...??

Hi there can anyone tell me if there are any records for Scotland out there (pref online) somewhere pre 1855? I've searched all over but BMD records all seem to be 1855 onward and my great grandfather was born at Fort George in 1854 !!! His father was a soldier and I know he died in Malta in 1856 (after Sebastapol). His mother then remarried and went to Canada leaving him in an orphanage but I don't know where. I am trying to find his father who was in a Scottish regiment so presumably was Scottish born.
    Alison

ScotlandsPeople have some records pre-1855, but they are not complete.

The IGI also has records. They are generally submitted, but usually reliable.

The pre-1855 records are not nearly as comprehensive as the post ones. You will probably only get the names of the parents and the place of birth or baptism.
    Tracy

Comment

Cheers tracy, I did look at Scotlands people a while ago, might have another go, Sorry what is IGI?
      Alison

Comment

IGI - FamilySearch.org - Search - holds the LDS parish records. Some are extracted from actual registers, others are submitted by LDS members and their accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
        Tracy

Comment

Alison

If you give me your g.grandfathers name, and any other details you have I will have a search on ScotlandsPeople for you
          Last edited by daj; 11-06-09, 16:18.
          David.
          Researching: Jamieson/Glasgow, Scotland + New York. Fiddaman/Durham. Russell/Lanarkshire

My Tree

Comment

Hi, James Loynes, soldier with the 79th Foot, Highland Regt (later to become the Queen's Own Highlanders). Info from the Musters & paylists, name James Loynes (sometimes Lones) Regt no. 3856, Rank Private, recruited 10 Mar 1854 Aberdeen.
            Wife (?) Christiana b.Leeds c.1839. she remarried to John White in 1864 (James died in 1856 in Malta) her son John was born in 1854 in Fort George. As I said before he was put into a (Barnados-so the story goes) orphanage and his mother and her second husband went to Canada with the army. There she had a daughter, Mary Ann and they all settled back in Mortimer nr Reading eventually. While John and his wife, settled in Reading. They obviously resumed contact at some stage as John's son eventually married Mary Ann's daughter.
            Alison

Comment

my great grandfather was born at Fort George in 1854 !!! His father was a soldier and I know he died in Malta in 1856 (after Sebastapol). His mother then remarried and went to Canada leaving him in an orphanage but I don't know where. I am trying to find his father who was in a Scottish regiment so presumably was Scottish born.
              I'm a little confused now -- Your g.grandfather was born 1854, his father died in 1856...so who's father are you trying to find? I thought you wanted to know your g.grandfathers father, but then you say...

.. James Loynes, soldier with the 79th Foot, Highland Regt (later to become the Queen's Own Highlanders). Info from the Musters & paylists, name James Loynes (sometimes Lones) Regt no. 3856, Rank Private, recruited 10 Mar 1854 Aberdeen.
              So you know your g.grandfathers fathers name

David.
              Researching: Jamieson/Glasgow, Scotland + New York. Fiddaman/Durham. Russell/Lanarkshire

My Tree

Comment

Hi, sorry to be confusing, yes I know his name I just want to find out where and when he was born - everything I know about him is military, I cannot find any record of his birth or marriage to Christiana. His family is a mystery.
                Alison

Comment

Working...
                X