Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Middlesbrough directories 1920's-1930's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middlesbrough directories 1920's-1930's?

Wondered if anyone had access to any directories for the Middlesbrough & surrounding areas, covering the period from the late 1920's to mid 1930's?

I am interested in the name Clothier in association with drapers, milliners or possibly even a larger store.

probably Middlesbrough but could also be Stockton or even Redcar.
    Vicky

Sorry I can't help you Vicky but I hope you don't mind me jumping on your request wagon ...

I'd be interested in an Edward Dunn, Baker / Confectioner, same time period and Middlesborough area if anyone is able to look please.

Comment

Is it too late for historical directories?
      I had quite a bit of info about Middlesbrough from the 19thC newspapers.
      You can access them from some libraries.
      If it's to be, it's up to me.
      Searching for:
      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

I did attempt the historical directories, the latest on there is about 1910 or 1913 (from memory) and I didn't find anything.

Nothing jumped out at me from the phone directories on Ancestry.

Tees Valley isn't giving me any likely BMDs, so I think its likely they were from a bit further out of the area. Its not a common surname in that area at all. The family I'm interested in must have just been there for a few years, probably business-related, so more likely an employee rather than the owner of the company.

Don't you just love it when you get vague details like these!
        Vicky

Comment

Vicky pm'ed John yesterday sorry thought I had sent to you as well , as soon as I get my head back together I will go down to the archives and see what I can find out , ;;;have printed out thread and pinned to my to do board ;;;might be couple weeeks though if you can wait ;;
          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Babs, it would be lovely if you could.

Don't mind waiting at all

Thank You!
            Vicky

Comment

Working...
            X