New Zealand question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealand question.

Has anyone come across any sites that have migration/shipping lists from New Zealand to Australia?

I'm looking at between 1918 and about 1927.

Thanks.

Hi Libby

After Federation (1901), immigration records are kept by the National Archive National Archives of Australia. I know some are on-line, eg arrivals into Fremantle, which also covers those going on to the Eastern States, but naturally would not include those arriving from NZ.

I am not sure what's on-line, or the years, I know later air arrivals and ship arrivals are, so do a name search and see if there is anything.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I'd be interested in those, myself. And some a bit earlier. For my niece's tree.

Christine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
      In this context, researching: FRIEDMAN/FREEMAN (England, Oz, Pikallin in Lithuania), MARKS (England, Oz, NZ, Himbach-Limeshain in Germany), COHEN, JACOBS JONES, GOLDSMID, & GOLDBERG (Lithuania)
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Di..............

I think I've searched all the NAA info (and everywhere else I can find)

Christine.................if I find enything I'll let you know.

My grandfather came to Australia sometime between the end of WW1 (he was a NZ Anzac) and nine months before my mother was born in either 1928 or 1929.

She always thought she was born in 1928, but she was named after the horse that won a big NZ race. I found that horse won in late 1928 and Mum was born in March so had to be 1929. Mum's birth was never registered.

Comment

Hi Libby

Have you tried the Australian War Memorial ? or does NZ have one too ? I am thinking that in many of the WW1 files I have seen have correspondence after the War finished, particularly to do with medals being received etc. Maybe something would give an indication of the date he came over.

Was she baptised even if she was not registered ? Maybe that would give a clue - then again, if she was not registered, was she really born in Australia - do you have her parents marriage registration ?

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia

Comment

Di,

I don't have her baptism......although she was brought up Catholic.

My mother's mother was married and (presumed) divorced, although I've never found that record!!! She then met up with my grandfather. Mum was their eldest child born March either 1928 or 29. She was born in Woolongong. There is no birth record and when she wanted to go overseas in the 1980s, she had some sort of birth cert made for her.
            Her brother was born in 1935 and he was registered.

My grandparents didn't marry until 1955 in Sydney. They met in Brisbane, lived in Woolongong when Mum was born, then lived in Tassie where Mum and her brother went to school under assumed names, then moved back to Brisbane in the late 1930s. They lived there all their life except for a quick trip to Sydney to get married just before I was born....lol
            Maybe they didn't want to live in sin as grandparents...lol

Grandma was first married in Stanthorpe and apparently divorced in the early 1920s.

Comment

That's quite a problem, Libby.

If she was baptised, you would have to figure out which church first. If her parents did not marry until 1955, was her brother registered under his mother's name or (falsely) under his fathers ? Did they live for a long time in Wollongong ? What about tracking the Electoral Rolls, would that give any clues as to dates ?

Have you searched the NLA newspapers web-site at all ? There might be some passengers lists there - I have found all sorts of interesting bits and pieces, including a clue as to what might have happened to a family twig who disappeared about 1852. (Newspaper report indicates Court proceedings and gaol, so maybe the family disowned him !!)

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
              X