Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1881 census - no image

Hi
    Can anyone tell me where i might look to see the image for the 1881 Wales census ( RG11 piece 5311 folio 87 page 1)
    The image on Ancestry is 46 pages long, but doesnt actually have the proper image and there is nothing on GR, is there somewhere else i could look?

Thanks
    Marie
    My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
    Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Can you give more details of who you are looking for - name, age, birthplace etc.
    I have looked at this and when I got to page 3 it had the most beautifully scripted census I have ever seen, someone has taken real pride in their work.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

thanks for looking Herky
      It is the Davies family i am looking for
      Thomas H 46 collier
      Mary 55
      Richard 22
      Thomas 19 (who i beleive is my 3x GGF)
      the address should be 99 Twynrodyn ( think i have spelt that right)

thanks again
      Marie
      Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Comment

I now see what you mean Marie - a real problem.
        Do you have the family in 1871 or 1891 and perhaps you could search for a neighbour and hope that the family haven't moved.
        I am not sure what to suggest, assuming that you have trawled through all the pages.
        I suppose you could contact ancestry but that would be a long term solution, if they sort it out.
        Sorry that I have no solution. I think this is an indexing problem but then again I am no expert. I have tried a search just with the address but that doesn't help.
        Hmmmmmmmm - really stuck but I am sure one of the more experienced researchers can help.
        Good luck.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I'm getting the same as you Marie......if you look down the list for Thomas with wife Mary....then when you get the numbered image just go through the pages...then you'll come to the images

Jean ...If that makes sense
          Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

The 1881 census is searchable by address. Street address underneath county.

Comment

Have you tried the LDS version on family search?

If you find them on there then the folio, page etc will be on there. Then you can find them on Ancestry.

Comment

Thanks Herky and Jean
                I have looked thro all 46 pages again, but my family nor their address is there.
                Margaret - have tried doing an address search , but it tells me there are no matches

Thanks all for looking
                Marie

PS Herky. I dont have the family in ant other census as yet. Was usisng this one as the address matched the one on Thomas Jn's MC

Thanks again
                Last edited by mariescott64; 09-06-09, 23:46.

Comment

Marie

Have you tried the LDS site? It does allow spelling differences.

Trouble is, Davies is very very common in Wales

Comment

Thanks Margaret, just tried that but it doesnt recognise the address either.
                    Is there any other place that i can try?

marie

Comment

Originally posted by mariescott64 View Post
                      Thanks Margaret, just tried that but it doesnt recognise the address either.
                      Is there any other place that i can try?

marie
                      Have you tried with a name search on that site?

Comment

yes but there are so many, i wouldnt know which one is mine

Comment

Hi Marie,

I've found them on 'findmypast' the 1881 is free to search. You will need to register unless you are already registered for the 1911, in which case you can use the same login.

Comment

This gets more complicated, I've found the image on Ancestry for address: 99 Twynyrodyn but it's not the Davies family living there, it's William and Mary James, and family. Look at Lower Merthyr Tydfil, district 3b, image numder 4.

Sorry to have misled you re Findmypast, it only has the index you cannot look at the original sheet.

Comment

What year did Thomas junior get married? Could the family still be at the address you have in 1891? Could the National Archives help as the images belong to them don't they?
                              Margaret

Comment

How do you know the ages for people other than Thomas junior?
                                Margaret

Comment

Hi
                                  Margaret and Susan
                                  On Ancestry you can view the record without looking at the original image (which you know) and i got the ages from that. And the address is the same one as Thomas Jn had when he married in 1884 (I have the MC for that one)
                                  and on a prevoius thread Kiterunner found the 1881 census matching the address and occ of Thomas Sn, but she had the same problem with the image.
                                  I have tried find my past but with no luck and wondered if there were any other sites i might try?

Thanks again
                                  marie

PS will try 1891 and see if they are still at the same address

update. Thomas Sn is still at the same address in 1891, living alone as a widower
                                  Last edited by mariescott64; 10-06-09, 20:31.

Comment

Marie, did you look at the image for Lower Merthyr Tydfil, district 3b, image 4, it's definitely 99, Twynyrodyn?

Comment

I've found them on the LDS site.

I searched for Richard Davies with head of household Thomas Davies and it was the first one in the list.
                                      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                                        I've found them on the LDS site.

I searched for Richard Davies with head of household Thomas Davies and it was the first one in the list.
                                        Unfortunately that gives exactly the same ref numbers as Ancestry.

Comment

Working...
                                        X