help with 1861 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with 1861 census

Ive now got my gg grandfather as Alfred John Smith b) 1854 somerset. as id been looking for just as a John Smith.

To which i managed to get his marriage certificate and his father is Thomas Smith b)1831, berkshire. and now found his mother as Elizabeth Whitehorn b)1833, berkshire.

I can find Thomas and Elizabeth in 1871 to 1901 all Berkshire area. but nothing before this to confirm that these are his parents.

can anyone else find him in 1861 census, i have been trying for a few days now :(
    Last edited by lambo; 09-06-09, 18:01.

Can you give the reference for the 1871 census you have found - there are 3 Thomas/Elizabeth Smith families in Berkshire - need to know which is yours!
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
      Ive now got my gg grandfather as Albert John Smith b) 1854 somerset. as id been looking for just as a John Smith.
      Have you found him on any census - does it give any more that just Somerset as place of birth?

From his marriage certificate, what is the occupation of his father Thomas?
      Elaine

Comment

RG 10 1250.
        Newbury, Berkshire
        Wash Common.
        Thomas and Elizabeth plus 4 children, Harriet, James, Sarah, Elizabth.

Comment

This appears to be the 1861 cenus to match that family
          - Ancestry.co.uk
          RG9; Piece: 729; Folio: 49; Page: 3

- but there is no Albert John listed.

How do you know this is the right family - it seems odd they are all from Berkshire and yet you say Albert John was born in Somerset.
          Elaine

Comment

i know ive been a little bit confused on it too, i hope im not chasing the wrong line.
            Heres what i got:

First i had him in 1901 as John Smith b)1854, Somerset. plus family.
            1891 as John Smith b)1854, Somerset. plus family.
            John Smith son Joseph is my G,Grandfather b)1886, Gloucester.

Alfred John Smith age 21. married Elizabeth Harris in 1875 Gloucester
            Father: Thomas Smith Labourer. (i knew before that Elizabeth Harris father was George Harris which his name is also on marriage cert)

I found a Alfred Smith b) 1854 Bath somerset. MMN: Whitehorn. on Bath BMD site.

Then i checked free BMD and got Thomas Smith Married Elizabeth Whitehorn in 1853 Faringdon, Berkshire.

Also that link took me to 1871 census which i have and not 1861
            thankyou for helping

Comment

sorry Alfred not Albert like i put in the first post.

Comment

1891 and 1901 census - does John Smith have anything other than just Somerset as place of birth?
                Elaine

Comment

1901 Nailsworth, Forest Green Gloucestershire.
                  John 47, Yeovil, Somerset.
                  Elizabeth 51, Glos
                  George 24, Glos
                  William 18, Glos
                  Joseph 14, Glos
                  Nellie 11, Glos.

1891 Avening, Stroud, Gloucester.
                  John 37, Yeovil, Somerset.
                  Elizabeth 40, Glos
                  George 14, Glos
                  Emily 10, Glos
                  William 8, Glos
                  Joseph 5, Glos
                  Ellen 1, Glos
                  Goerge Harris 77, Glos (Father-in-Law)
                  Last edited by lambo; 09-06-09, 20:26.

Comment

I found a Alfred Smith b) 1854 Bath somerset. MMN: Whitehorn. on Bath BMD site.
                    John 47, Yeovil, Somerset.

John 37, Yeovil, Somerset.
                    I can see where you have got to where you are, but this is the bit that´s not adding up for me.
                    He gives his place of birth as Yeovil which is a fair distance from Bath - so I´m not sure how you can be sure the Bath registration is your man.
                    Having said that I can´t see a suitable one in the Yeovil registration district at the moment.

Who were the witnesses on the marriage certificate - do they help at all?
                    Elaine

Comment

i have been trying to work this out for a while.

Alfred John Smith and Elizabeth Harris
                      married in 1875
                      witnesses W H Bailey and C Bailey.
                      Kingstanley,Stroud, Gloucester.

There first child was George b) 1877, Kingstanley, Gloucester.

My g,grandad was Joseph b)1886, i have his birth cert and his parents were John Smith and Elizabeth Harris and i knew that elizabeths father was George Harris.

So it seems to tie in with that marriage certificate, i couldnt find a birth for a John Smith either or even a marriage for a john smith and elizabeth.

I have also gone through the Bath website and that is the only birth for a Smith and MMN Whitehorn.

And the same with the marriage section there is no marriage for a Smith and Whitehorn.

Comment

Working...
                      X