Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sampson Copestake 1838 - 1917

Hi all
    A branch of mine has hit Money LOL (it could never be mine ) is there a place that can tell me who Sampson Copestake 1838 - 1917 left his money to if he had any left by the time he past. Thanks

Laura

His addresses were 1 Adelaide Crescent, Hove and Shermanbury Place, Henfield. So he had two properties at least. SHermanbury Place was sold by Auction (741 Acres) and had a rental value of £1.200 per annum.

Adelaide Crescent, Hove was a Mansion House and the contents were auctioned, they included Decorative Furniture and porcelain.

Leiko
    Last edited by leiko; 09-06-09, 14:21.

Comment

You need to apply for a copy of his Will, it was proved in the Principal Probate Registry of his Majesty's high court of justice on the 28th April 1917.

This is where I have obtained mine from but you can always ring them to make sure you are on the right track.

Probate Department
      Principal Registry of the Family Division
      First Avenue House
      42-49, High Holborn
      London WC1V 6NP

Leiko

Comment

There is a lot of information and pictures of Samuel Copestake if you Google.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

HI
          Now this is where I say I think there must be two because one (mine) Lives in London and area most his life but there is another that I think in Langley. Leiko please can you tell me where you found this info Thanks

Laura

Comment

Hi,

The Times Online gives a lot of information. Details about the Auctions and the proving of his Will, plus his death announcement and the value of his estate and some details of where the money went.

I think there is a succession of earlier Sampson Copestakes - one founded a firm called Copestake, Moore and Crampton in about 1827 which is obviously prior to your Sampson but I wondered if it was his father. Also I am sure when I read the announcement about the Will for Sampson died 1917 that it was proved by a Mr Crampton but I need to re-check that.

Leiko

Just googling bought up this from British History Online about Shermanbury Manor Estates.

Hunt sold it in 1874 to Sampson Copestake. On his death in 1917 Shermanbury was sold to Harold Warren Coleman.
            Last edited by leiko; 09-06-09, 17:27.

Comment

TNA has records for that name, such as:
              Memoranda book, relating to the Manor of Shermanbury and Ewhurst, compiled by Joseph Porter, land steward to Sampson Copestake esquire, Lord of the Manor of Shermanbury and Ewhurst Add Mss 37318 c. 1887-1908

These documents are held at West Sussex Record Office

Contents:
              Comprises primarily an account of the descent of copyholds of the Manor of Shermanbury and Ewhurst, in the parishes of Shermanbury, Henfield, Cowfold etc., from 1659, extracted from the manorial court rolls by Joseph Porter in 1887, and subsequently updated to c. 1908
              Also includes notes by Joseph Porter on sales of timber from the wastes of the manor, 1880-1886
              At front: 1887. Lease from Joseph John Brown of the Woodland, Reigate, co. Surrey, esq., to Sampson Copestake of the Inner Temple, barrister at law, of No. 1, Adelaide Crescent, Hove. Draft
              At back: 1887. Conveyance from Sampson Copestake of No. 1, Adelaide Crescent, Brighton, esq., to the Burial Board for the parish of Shermanbury, of a plot of land in Shermanbury for use as a burial ground for the parish of Shermanbury. Draft
              1 vol., 278 ff. (179 ff. used)
              Abstract of Title of Sampson Copestake of Wynnstay, Burgess Hill, esq AMS4207A 1884

These documents are held at East Sussex Record Office

Contents:
              To
              Capital messuage known as Little Oat Hall and 82a land in Wivelsfield and Ditchling; "Knaves acre" (3a) in Ditchling
              Recites deeds 1818-1879 tracing the title from William Lucas Shadwell James Martin and William Mercer to John Hunt, to Christopher Rhodes of Brighton esq, to Henry Honey of Ironmonger Lane, London esq, to James Hanning of Avonmore House Stoke Bishop near Clifton in Somerset, esq, thence to Sampson Copestake
              Schedule giving tenants names and field names with acreages and state of cultivation
              and
              Map AMS4207D 1884

These documents are held at East Sussex Record Office

Contents:
              Of Little Oathall in Wivelsfield & Ditchling; Pollards Inholmes and Folders in Ditchling and the Ditchling Potteries on Ditchling Common; Frankbarrow, Cants Farm, Keymer Pottery and Inholmes in Keymer & Ditchling; Wynn Stay (The mansion of Sampson Copestake, Victorian entrepreneur who opened up the still surviving Keymer Brick and Tile Works has been pulled down. It has been replaced by a modern block of flats which preserves the name (opposite Hoadley's in Keymer Rd) in Burgess Hill and Town Mead. [? in Ditchling parish]
              Shows newly developing houses in Inholmes Park Rd. and St Andrews Rd, Burgess Hill, and Clearmount villa in Janes Lane
              Scale c 25 in to the mile
              (My italics and bolds)
              Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 09-06-09, 17:25.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
              X