Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vista - Preparing Your Desktop (problem)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista - Preparing Your Desktop (problem)

Have had Vista for about 18 months now and within the last two months we've had problems sporadically when signing on.

When I sign in, after "welcome" it comes up with "preparing your desktop". Then I have a little box on the bottom corner that says "your user profile was not loaded properly".

When this happens you have no access to any saved files or settings. The only way I've found to get around it is to restart the computer - a bit annoying if you've asked your son to switch to your account to check your mail and now he will lose everything he has open.

The last two days it has happened when the computer has been 'sleeping' all night and I sign on in the morning - have to restart it to make it work right.

Any suggestions?

First I would check once the hard disk. Alone new celebration in stalemate can have faulty traces and the magnetic layer then allows no more storage in these places. You find SCANDISK under other possibilities under programme, Accessories, System. If after that a data storage is possible again, then think of the purchase of a new hard disk, however!
    Wolf

Comment

Hi Wolf - thanks for getting back to me. Do you mean that I may not have enough room on my hard drive and that is why it is acting up? I checked the amount of free space on my disk - it is 32 GB; and the computer automatically defrags once a week. I also still have an unused D drive of 143 GB - maybe I should move some of the stuff over there.

Comment

Hi Margaret, the number of free bytes is not the problem. Of course can impair the loading up process strongly. However, do not lead to this symptom.
        No, I mean the problem of the too weak magnetization. After an intensive examining run the weak sectors are indicated as a fault and and not described any more. At the old Windows versions then received a note after 6 of these pale inheriting actions. Hardware " - fault ", a replacement for this hard disk. !
        Hard disks have a running time of approx. 10.000 hours. But only,
        no sudden power failure write up if the computer or turn off and this one prevents reading heads from it, the this into take final post ion.
        Wolf

Comment

I have tried finding Scandisk on my computer, but it is not coming up. Under Accessories, System Tools I can find Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup. I know which program you are talking about as I have it on my Win98 - just not on the Vista, which is where I am having this problem. Maybe it is listed under another section, and I just can't find it.

Comment

If you go onto the workplace and select the drive letter "C" with the right mouse button, a new picture then appears. A field is "qualities" right below . You mark this with the left mouse button. A new window then opens again. Extras should " general " etc. stand in the upper area. Selects EXTRAS with the left mouse button. Another window then appears and you can "examine" here now mark. Please then mark both small boxes. Although some time lasts, however, is necessary. Disk drive (not the whole hard disk) all sectors is read and back written again on the logical one.
            I hope, You have my got on German-English partly.
            Wolf

Comment

Margaret,
              so suffer it does to me, it is 00.15 clock in Germany now. I will move into my bed now and dream no more on Bites and bytes. I wish you much success with your action. The complete hard disk on another hard disk or DVD thinks to a programme like "drive image" to this copy. There is some good on the marrow and safeguarding programs copy. A restoration then lasts for an hour perhaps. Days take the complete system to the present state with all programmes presumably again.
              Wolf

Comment

Hi again.

I wasn't able to follow your directions exactly - maybe because we have different versions of Windows - but I was able to find something called 'diskcheck' under Properties -Tools - Error Checking.
                I selected to > Automatically fix file system errors and
                > Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

I had to restart the computer for it to do this and it took about an hour to do the whole thing. It didn't offer a report at the end and I didn't see any indication of errors while it was running, so hopefully everything is OK.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see if the problem occurs again.

Comment

Fine Margaret,
                  You can find the fault news under the following way:
                  Start, system control, administration, event display.
                  All news and faults are held tight here.
                  Wolf

Comment

Wolf - I managed to find 'event viewer' but it doesn't look good. There are all sorts of 'events' (44,000) listed and there are 'warnings' that show the same thing from my first post......."your user profile was not loaded properly".

May have to take it to the doctor.

Comment

Margaret,
                      there still is a possibility. At greater changes the registering data are safeguarded by the system. Among the many programmes of sight (also at XP) there are system programmes for the restoration of a particular day. You find this restoration again - take on several again if you press the F8 button the computer start at, a menu should be published with more options. Here would select the option "as the last known operational version".
                      This is the 1st variant
                      Is the 2nd: Restore search under the accessories, system programmes. Then one chooses time for you, which is not too old and this prays it opens.
                      Wolf

Comment

Working...
                      X