Mystery disappearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery disappearance

In Family Search IGI I have two references to Kate Courtnall born March 1870 Greater Berkhampstead, and she is in the 1881 census but is living up the road from her parents both of George Street, but at the second address of Mr & Mrs Shelton she is shown as a daughter. I cannot find a reference for her except her birth on FREEBMD Berkhampstead 3a 434. I have not found a reference to the Sheltons as grandparents/in laws.
    Kate's mother died in childbirth in 1880 and her father remarried in Sept 1881 to Sarah George.

James I think you will find the answer in the 1871 census for Charles and Susanna Shelton. they have a Sarah Courtnell living with them listed as stepdaughter

So Susanna must have been a Courtnell and a widow before her marriage to Charles, and Kate would have been her grandaughter (although why they put daughter I have no idea) - Charles would have been her step grandfather
    Hope that helps

Comment

Thank you Val and George, checking FREEBMD Sept 1865 Berkhampstead 3a 530 gives a marriage for Charles Shelton but no partner, Susanna Courtnell appears on her own Sept 1865 Berkhampstead 3a 330.
      Could someone check this for me.

Comment

Yes, Susanna's is an error in transcription. I could understand it being mistaken for 531 but it looks nothing like 330.
        Glen

Comment

Has anyone put in a FreeBMD correction notice for this/these?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

GRO Correction

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
            Has anyone put in a FreeBMD correction notice for this/these?

Christine
            Yes, did it a little while ago.
            Glen

Comment

I have as well

Comment

Has anyone found Kate after 1881?

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                  Has anyone found Kate after 1881?
                  There's a possible marriage in 1895.

Katherine Courtnall, Watford, vol 3a page 979.

To either William Hart, or Albert Edward Saw.

Comment

Judging by 1901, it was Katherine & Willie!

RG13; Piece: 1316; Folio: 110; Page: 4

Unless the other bride was also Katherine b Berkhamstead c 1870?

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Perhaps the two couples were friends?

The children are Katherine, Mable (sic) and Albert E. Tho' one suspects that Albert Edward, say, would have been a trendy royalist name at the time.

Christine

Comment

As far as I can see Harts did not appear in Berkhampstead though the Saw name does, But you are saying that Katherine married William Hart and Kate his wife came from Berkhamptead and was born in 1870

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                          As far as I can see Harts did not appear in Berkhampstead though the Saw name does, But you are saying that Katherine married William Hart and Kate his wife came from Berkhamptead and was born in 1870
                          At post #9, you can see that SusanH found a likely marriage.

At 42 Cecil St, Watford:
                          Willie HART, 27, railway clerk, b London NW
                          Katherine, wife, 29, b Berkhamsted
                          Katherine, daur 5, b Watford
                          Mable, daur 4, b Watford
                          Albert E, son 2mo, b Watford

Christine

Comment

Thanks all, at least that has cleared it up, all the others hardly moved from Berkhampstead making them easy to track.

Comment

I presume you've found this resource?
                              hertsdirect.org Online Indexes and Catalogues

Christine

Comment

The only COURTNALL name which crops up on the HALS online names list is Sarah, marrying Henry John WILLMORE of Northchurch in 1879

Or there is James COURTNAL (i.e. one L) of Berkhamsted, marrying Susannah WHITBIN in 1841.

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine that has cleared another one up, Sarah in 1879

Comment

Did you look at the actual HALS data? - They give an exact date.

Christine

Comment

Thank you again Christine, I have the date 17 May 1879, very useful site I found a couple of others from different family's

Comment

I have from just a enquiry about one person have now given Anonymous G.G.G. Parents. G.G.Parents G. parents, parents and g.children of a small branch of my tree. Thanks you all.

From the same site I have been able to put surnames of brides to a couple of marriages/Births I had picked up on before.
                                        Last edited by James; 11-06-09, 17:28.

Comment

Working...
                                        X