Imperial Colonial Corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imperial Colonial Corps

Recently I was contacted by a lady who may be the descendant of a sister to my OH's 2xgt grandfather, we have still to get there yet, but she did have photos of OH's half great granduncle and his 2xgt grandfather paid for passage to Natal, South Africa for this ??sister and youngest son.

. In a letter to J.C. Byrne in June 1850, Moreland stated he had the security for the payment of a 25 pound steerage passage for Mary Curry and Henry Curry to be contacted through the former c/c Messrs Turnbull & Lund, 35 Cannon St. Manchester."

To cut along story short,
    Mary Lund married a George Curry .
    son, Henry Curry born 1838, Wades Place, Hackney Road, Middlesex
    George Curry was a Cook.
    Found some directories where he has 'dining rooms' there.

Henry's eldest brother, George, joined the Imperial Colonnial Corps 1841 age 16, and sailed on the Abercrombie Robinson in 1842 to South Africa.
    His father died and mother and sibling followed him to South Africa.

Having 'googled' I cannot seem to get much info re the above Corps,
    especially in Natal. Has anyone come across it before, and if so where would I get further info about it please.

Also anyone have any ideas about what 'dining rooms' would be in 1840's

Dog's have Owners, Cats have Staff
    It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser

Where did the name of the Corps come from? If you google for the name of the ship, you'll see it was carrying the 91st regiment when it was wrecked (with no casualties) in 1842.

Comment

I believe that " dining rooms" were a sort of cafe/restaurant..

Comment

Been googling, if you google Cape Corps, I think it might be of some help....good luck..

Comment

Working...
        X