X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless stick? thingy!!

As you may have spotted.........I'm no computer techie!:o

So I would appreciate any help I can get.:D

I have been told I can get a stick (or something similar) which can be inserted into my laptop, which will allow me to use the laptop anywhere in the house...............

How exactly does it work please and what is its proper title? As I am very interested in purchasing one.
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

It's called a dongle............I think.
    Heather

Comment

That rings a bell Heather...........(no pun intended)..........I think my Son in Law has one.

I will ask him later.
      Jen

Comment

Here's a link to a googled wotsit about dongles and laptops

Usb wireless laptop dongles??? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
          Here's a link to a googled wotsit about dongles and laptops

Usb wireless laptop dongles??? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers
          ooh Rachel is that really you giving advice ????

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            ooh Rachel is that really you giving advice ????
            well Heather did it :(

call it moral support ?
            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Rachel. will take a look though think I have decided on a wi fi notebook card.
              Jen

Comment

Before buying anything you first have to establish what you have.

Do you have an internet connection anywhere in the house?
                If you have an internet connection do(es) your computer(s) connect to it with wires or wirelessly?
                Can your laptop connect to the internet connection without wires?

If you have a wired internet connection then it may be all you need is a wireless router.
                If your laptop is an older model you may also need a wireless network adaptor (newer laptops have these built in).

If you have no internet connection in the house then you will need a plug in internet connection (internet dongle).
                These vary in speed and contract period (monthly contract, pay as you go).
                Cheers
                Guy
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I've got a wired router network of 3 computers, you don't need to add a wireless router as well you can buy a wireless adapter that fits into the back of your wired router, you the have both wireless and wired internet, I've got 2 wireless laptops that us it so I can access the internet using any of the3 wired pc's or the 2 wireless laptops.

I also have a Virgin mobile usb dongle, that gives me access to the internet on any wireless laptop from anywhere in the world, I've got the cheap contract cus I very rarely use it but it costs £5 a month for a one gig download allowance, that's about 30 hours surfing. You have to pay the £5 a month even if you don't use it.
                  Best Wishes
                  Ron
                  www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

I have a wireless router which is connected to BT line only, this is in the living room but I wanted something which will allow me to use laptop upstairs too.
                    I may go for the Wi-Fi receiver card but am not sure about cost i.e, I can get one from Argos for initial outlay of around £20..........but don't know if they need top up payments? If so why? You pay for your internet connection anyway so, why pay double?
                    Then there is the dongle, one off payment again.......but is there any hidden extra costs?
                    Jen

Comment

If you have a wireless router I must assume your laptop is not wireless enabled, if it's not it must be a very old laptop, let me know.

To compare deals go here.

Compare Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband Deals - Cheap PAYG Mobile Broadband
                      Best Wishes
                      Ron

Comment

If you have a wireless router you just need to make sure it has the wireless turned on and that your laptop has wireless capability.
                        You may already have what you want but just need to set it up correctly.
                        My laptop can be plugged in or used wirelessly anywhere in the house but the wireless can be switched off.
                        If you manage to set it up make sure you secure your wireless network.
                        Our network is encrypted and only allows access to specific addresses.
                        How old is the laptop?

Comment

Ron my laptop is only 2 yrs old a Dell Inspiron, and I have a Belkin router.
                          Jen

Comment

it must be wireless enabled, have a look in Control Panel, is there a Wireless Set Up icon in there. If there is you have wireless capability, let me know, while your at it is there a slot on the side of your laptop about 2 inches wide by 1/4 inch deep.
                            Best Wishes
                            Ron

Comment

Hi Ron, I'm on DIL's laptop at the moment, mine's upstairs.
                              DIL has just got me the Belkin wireless G+ Notebook card from Argos........so will try it later, the instructions look very straight forward, only hope this is the correct application.
                              Will let you know if it works OK.
                              Jen

Comment

you may not need it, I think your laptop has wireless capability, check my last post and report back
                                Best Wishes
                                Ron

Comment

OK Ron, I will close down and set up my laptop so I can check it out.
                                  Jen

Comment

Hi Ron.......there is a slot on the right hand side about the size you mention but I can't find a wireless set up Icon in control panel.........?

Ah.....just found a wireless network connection in Control panel Home facility Ron.........is that the one??
                                    Last edited by Jen~Ealogy; 10-06-09, 15:55.
                                    Jen

Comment

Yes, your laptop has got wireless facilty built in, if you have a wireless router all you need is the card that goes in that slot, it's called a PCMCIA card and you can get one off ebay for about £7, here's the item number of one on ebay at the moment, 320381131475
                                      if you buy this you can access your wireless network from anywhere within range (about 30 metres or more) free. It's a piece of cake to set it up as well.
                                      Best Wishes
                                      Ron

Comment

Really Ron.......I'll go and have a look now.......pop back later.....Thanks so much for all your help so far Ron, I do appreciate it.

Just checked this out Ron but not sure if its compatible with Vista so asked seller this question and just waiting on the answer.

Just noticed it also says compatible with ALL laptops with a cardbus PC type 11 slot.........so could be OK Ron??
                                        Last edited by Jen~Ealogy; 10-06-09, 16:39.
                                        Jen

Comment

Working...
                                        X