X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with this please

Hi

Im looking for any logic in this please:

Thomas Lakin married Jane Urry in 1825 in Portsmouth, no father is listed for either person but Thomas was a batchelor and Jane a spinster. The parish records (from my local RO) are pretty bad and i am unable to make out any witnesses. The only other info i have from this is that Thomas was in the RMA at the time.

Jane Urry died in 1849 so i only have the 1841 census to go on which puts her at 30 at the date of census, death cert says 40 so DOb around 1809 which would have put her as 15/16/17 upon marriage? Place of birth is not in Staffordshire.

Mary Ann Lakin died in 1897 age 77 putting her DOB at 1822, father on marriage cert is Thomas Lakin , DOB puts her as being born 1820 and place of birth is always Portsmouth. Age on census ranges from 1826, 1825, (in 1841 & 1851 when she is a daughter) 1822, 1823, 1823, (as wife) and 1823 in 1891on her own.

I am going to attempt the RO again to scour the portsmouth records, but how likely is it that Jane was her mother? Also was it likely that if she was Thomas' daughter why would he have put batchelor on his marriage cert if he already had a daughter?

Mary Anns next sibling was born in 1828 in Burton although there is no baptism record to go with that (and i can only find him in 1841). The births are then in quick succession of every few years. Last child was born in 1844 and mother is confirmed as Jane Urry

I hope people can understand my ramblings!!

Urry is quite a popular surname in the Hampshire area, and i have contacted someone who has a big family tree but doesnt have Jane on it so i am unable to confirm anything else
    Last edited by Lensgirl; 08-06-09, 16:15.
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

The most accurate indication of Mary Ann's age is that given by her parents in 1851. That suggests she is either born within the marriage or only just before.

Unfortunately, Portsmouth would have been a magnet for lots of young people. Lots of my family died there before 1851, creating numerous brick walls.

Hampshire GS have issued a cd of baptisms, which might throw something up, as she (Jane I mean) probably travelled within the county, rather than from further afield.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 08-06-09, 16:27. Reason: clarity
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

There is also a chance that Jane was not married when she had Mary Ann and the baptism could be under Urry.

Thomas could well be her father but also there is the possibility that he isn't but is the only person she knew as her father so named him on her MC.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
        Hampshire GS have issued a cd of baptisms, which might throw something up, as she (Jane I mean) probably travelled within the county, rather than from further afield.
        could you tell me where to find this please?

Also I have looked on LDS for a Mary Ann Urry but cant see anything. i think im going to have to trawl one evening
        Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Records for both St Thomas and St Marys Portsea are on the IGI for the period. Looking at St Thomas, where they married, there are virtually no Urry entries and none at all for Lakin. Have you tried looking at regimental births, as these start much earlier than civil registration?
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Here's the link:

HGS Indexes on CD-ROM

However, the IGI suggests a concentration of the surname on the IOW and that is a separate FHS.

Comment

There's a baptism for Jane Urry 31/12/1809 on Ancestry England and Wales Christenings- at Godshill, nr Newport , father John, mother Elizabeth

I've just looked at Family Search and this a submitted entry there but as the Ancestry records are the old BIVRI it would make it a bit more reliable if you had doubts about it.
              Last edited by Sue from Southend; 08-06-09, 17:07. Reason: more info.
              Sue

Comment

Urry is a very well known name on the Island.
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                  Records for both St Thomas and St Marys Portsea are on the IGI for the period. Looking at St Thomas, where they married, there are virtually no Urry entries and none at all for Lakin. Have you tried looking at regimental births, as these start much earlier than civil registration?
                  where would i get the regimental birth info from?

will take a look at the Ancestry entry, although that would make her only 16 at most when Mary Ann was born. Not unheard of im sure. Im not at home tonight so cant take a look at the marriage cert to see if there is any other info on Jane
                  Robyne

Comment

I was kicking myself for not having copies of the marriage cert online but i wasnt as stupid as i thought! not sure it helps matters though. photo is too small, just trying to get it bigger
                    Robyne

Comment

Robyne

Comment

Hi Robyne,
                        If you go into TribalPages.com - Free Family Tree - Genealogy and press the "search" tab and enter Urry in the surname you will see one for Jane Urry as being born in Portsmouth in 1809 and dying in Burton-Upon-Trent in 1849. It comes under the Walters/Elliott family and you email the owner of the site to ask permission to see their tree. You can do the same thing for Thomas Lakin and you will see that he is again in the Walters/Elliott tree.There is also another tree under the Lakin Family.I hope you have some luck
                        Regards
                        John

Comment

Hi Robyne,
                          I forgot to mention that you have to register with TribalPages but it only takes minutes and is free.
                          John

Comment

The first witness looks like R Hatch Junr. The Hatch family seem to have been integral to Portsmouth life, with later members of the family becoming registrars. Most of my certs have William Hatch as registrar on them.

Comment

Originally posted by 2001woosnam View Post
                              Hi Robyne,
                              If you go into TribalPages.com - Free Family Tree - Genealogy and press the "search" tab and enter Urry in the surname you will see one for Jane Urry as being born in Portsmouth in 1809 and dying in Burton-Upon-Trent in 1849. It comes under the Walters/Elliott family and you email the owner of the site to ask permission to see their tree. You can do the same thing for Thomas Lakin and you will see that he is again in the Walters/Elliott tree.There is also another tree under the Lakin Family.I hope you have some luck
                              Regards
                              John
                              Thats me!!:D thanks for looking at that though
                              Last edited by Lensgirl; 09-06-09, 12:23.
                              Robyne

Comment

If i went to the actual church would they be able to give me any more information?
                                Robyne

Comment

There won't be any records at the church itself, Robyne. St Thomas is now the cathedral church of Portsmouth & considerably altered from the 1800s.

The records would have been deposited a long time ago. It might be worth contacting Portsmouth RO to ask what other churches were in existence at the period eg the Garrison Church. They may hold other records that are not on the IGI. Unfortunately, war time bombing destroyed a lot of Portsmouth records.

Comment

Just thought i would let you know. Having looked at the overseas regimental births (never knew they existed until now!) there is a Mary Laking born in 1823 in Corfu. Am going to get the cert and see what they say
                                    Robyne

Comment

Hi Robyne
                                      IF YOU HAVEN'T ORDERED THIS ALREADY, HAVE YOU CHECKED WHETHER THERE ARE ANY OTHERS witht he same ref? Sometimes whole families are done together. It would be a way to check whether that is likely to be the wrong certificate or not (if other names do not tie in)

Either way, good luck!

Comment

Hi Phoenix

just taken a look and cant see any others. Im keeping my fingers crossed this is the one im looking for!
                                        Robyne

Comment

Working...
                                        X