Industrial Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Industrial Schools

I'm going through my great grandmothers brothers Army records, he served from age of 17 for 12 years 1895-1907, mostly in India, then rejoined and served first world war 1914-1919.

He was seriously punished/disciplined quite a few times during his service, including being sentenced to a year with hard labour. However I notice on his education it says before the army he was educated at a 'Home Office Industrial School'. I seem to remember these being mentioned as 'tough' schools where truants or criminal children were sent from the Griff Rhys Jones' episode of WDYTYA. Am I right in thinking that?

He was certainly not from a poor background, his dad was middle class, a civil servant, white collar worker, in local government.

Would the fact he was educated at an Industrial School suggest he was a bit of a tearaway even before his army days, or am I reading too much into it?

Thanks
    Last edited by Richard; 08-06-09, 13:29. Reason: spelling

Richard

Yes, I would take it as read that he was a "difficult" boy if he was in an Industrial School.

Remember that bad behaviour of any sort was just not tolerated by the family or by society - he may just have been high-spirited, or caught scrumping, or knocked a policeman's helmet off, or a school refuser, as they are so politely called nowadays.

Out of control, can't do a thing with him, etc, and the Magistrate would have sent him to an Industrial School, or maybe his father asked for him to go there.

I don't think it indicates serious criminality though!

OC

Comment

Thanks OC

His offences in the army were generally of that nature, being rude to officers, swearing at them, breaking out of camp, being drunk on active service. Generally nothing to suggest serious criminality, but a problem with authority, high spirits, head strong, certainly. So fits in with that.

Funnily enough though his service records on discharge give him a character reference for future employment, which is very good, and even describes him as 'sober..as far as I have known him'! No mention of the numerous arrests, punishments etc.

Comment

Have you had a look here

HOME PAGE
        made a note of this fo my rellie

INDUSTRIAL SCHOOLS ACT
        Dated 1st January, 1888 – An Act to consolidate and amend the Acts relating to Industrial Schools in Great Britain states the following

Commitment of Children to Certified Industrial Schools.
        1. Any person may being before a court of summary jurisdiction any child apparently less than fourteen years of age who is found under any of the following circumstances, that is to say,-
        a.habitually begging or receiving alms (whether actually or under the pretext of selling anything or offer anything for sale), or being habitually in any street or public place for the purpose of so begging or receiving alms.
        b.not having any home or settled place of abode or proper guardianship, or visible means of subsistence.
        c.frequenting the company of reputed thieves or common or reputed prostitutes.
        d.lodging or residing in a house frequented by prostitutes for the purpose of prostitution.
        2. The court before whom a child is brought as being found under any of the circumstances aforesaid, if satisfied on inquiry of the fact, and that it is expedient to deal with the child under this Act, and if the child appears to the court to be less than fourteen years of age, may make an order for the detention of the child in a certified industrial school until he attains the age of eighteen years.
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks Elaine

It is strange because reading that and the link provided it seems these schools were primarily intended for children who were homless, or roaming the streets apparantly homeless and without parental influence. My man definently had parents and a comfortable home background. Perhaps he run away from that and roamed the streets?

Mind you it does also state any child theoretically could be placed in one if they came up before a magistrate under the age of 14 and were deemed to be under bad influence and being led off the rails...perhaps that was the case.

Comment

My husbands maternal grandfather was educated at an industrial school and we were told it as because his mother died when he was fairly young, father married again and his step mother didn't want her step children when her own came along so they were sent away.
            Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I think there were two ways into an Industrial School - one via the Magistrates Court and the other by parental request to someone in authority, say a magistrate or a Vicar or someone else with local clout.

The child only had to be "out of parental control" and I doubt if much evidence was gathered in the case of a widow say, who had a naughty son.

My First Love was sent to a Training Ship at age 13, not the same as an Industrial School, but near enough. His parents were divorced and his mother's male relatives felt he needed a strong male presence and that his mother would not be able to manage him as he got older.

He was a perfectly nice boy, innocent of any wrong-doing other than a bit of door-slamming and answering his mother back. In those days, this was seen as beyond the pale and a sign that he needed stronger discipline!

OC

Comment

Working...
              X