Eliza Copyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eliza Copyes

I am trying to find the correct maiden name of one of my ancestors.

When she marries on 5/11/1860 to Daniel Perkes Hallett her name is given as Eliza Copyes (this surname must be incorrect as this is the only time it occurs on Free BMD) her Father's name is John and his occupation is Bus Conductor. Eliza and Daniel's address is St.Pancras only.

Eliza marries again in 1898 to James Harris this under the name Eliza Ann Hallett her father's name is Joseph Copyes he is now deceased but his occupation is still stated as Bus Conductor.

I have the birth certificate of her son Walter Edgar Hallett born 10/10/1870 and it states her name as Eliza Ann Hallett formerly Copyes.

On the 1861 census when the surname is spelt Hallit her birthplace is St.Pancras age 20, the 71 census it is Kennington age 29, the 81 census it is Middlesex (but so is half the page) age 39, the 91 cencus when Eliza is a widow and her name is spelt Elvia Haller it is Lambeth age 49, the 1901 census when Eliza is married to James it is Kennington age 59, I havn't got to the 1911 census yet.

I have been unable to find Eliza on the 1851 census with her family which would have given me her correct surname.

Would anyone have any ideas how I can find Eliza's correct surname.

Hi,
    I have managed to find the following entry on the 1851 Census

Copsey Catherine 42 Head Laundress born St Pancras
    Copsey Jane 19 dau. Laundress born St Pancras
    Copsey Eliza 9 niece born St Pancras
    all living at 8 Sandwich Street, St Pancras

I don't know if this is your Eliza but she might be worth looking into.
    Emeltee

Comment

Hi again,
      I have just looked up the entry for Eliza's marriage on the Register of Marriages and FreeBMD is correct. The surname is quite clearly written as Copyes.
      Emeltee

Comment

There is an entry on the IGI that could relate to the 1851 cenus above - unfortunately not with Joseph or John as father.

ELIZA COPSEY
        Birth: 30 NOV 1841
        Christening: 22 JAN 1842 Old Church, Saint Pancras, London, England
        Parents William & Ann Copsey
        Elaine

Comment

A possible...in 1851.....Eliza Coops ?

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1520; Folio: 196; Page: 41; GSU roll: 87854.

showing born Clerkenwell ???

Comment

Eliza Copyes

Thank you all for your replys.

She is not the Eliza that Emeltee and Elaine refer to because that Eliza is still single in the 1861 census.I will look into the Eliza that Alan refers to.

Again thank you for your replys.

Peter

Comment

On 1841 there is a:
              John Coprey b 1806(On Ancestry) Copsey ( on FMP) Born out of county
              Eliza b 1811. Middx (Mother?)
              HO107 713/10/5/2
              Duckett Street, Stepney, Mile End Old Town, Lower, Tower Hamlets Middx
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Copus/Colpas is a name occurring in Surrey which might be pronounced as copyes, but I don't have Ancestry to see if there is anyone of similar name in the Kennington/Lambeth area in 1841
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thank you for more replys.

I now think she is unlikely to be Eliza Coops as on the 1851 census Eliza Coops is aged 17

The Coprey name is interesting and Stepney is where Eliza's first husband Daniel was born altough they were married in St.Pancras.

I will look further into the Copus and Colpas names.

Again thank you for your replys.

Peter

Comment

John Coprey or Copsey is a Butcher in 1841 and 1861 birthplace Hornchurch Essex I have FMP and 1851 is nowhere near complete.
                    But unless Eliza has got his occupation completely wrong on her Marriage certificates this John is not her father.
                    I have not found any contenders for the names Copus/colpas.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                    X