1911 census- how can I.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census- how can I.....

... find a specific address without a name? If anyone knows or can help please let me know!
    Thanks very much
    Tessie

There is an address search function in the England & Wales version.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks christine but it doesn't seem to be working for me! I will just have to wait for the irish 1901 to come out before i can do anything else!
      thanks again
      tessie

Comment

I hadn't realised that the Irish census images were coming out "back-to-front" (i.e. 1911 before 1901). In case you haven't seen the Irish National Archives' info about census research, it's here:
        Genealogy: Census returns

What's the E&W address you're looking for? Perhaps one of us can help. It might be that the street numbering isn't what you're expecting as at that date, of course.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Omit the word "road" or "street" when you search.

Comment

this is the street i want to look at: TEMERAIRE ST ROTHERHITHE County London
            District St Olave (Bermondsey), if anyone has any luck?

Comment

What number? I've found it just used the street name
              Clare

Comment

Hi Tessie,

Here you are.

Welcome to the official 1911 Census website

Sorry Tessie, I mistakenly thought the link I posted would take you to Temeraire St. I now realise it merely takes one to the last page viewed :o
                Last edited by Guest; 09-06-09, 00:17.

Comment

hi clare, my problem is that my rellies live at 8. but his p.o.b says rathdrum, wicklow and then underneath ind. resident. When I asked on here before someone said that it meant they were living in accomodation with the job. So then I thought maybe if I can find out about the other houses on the street it might tell me whether this meant that or whether he came over on a boat especially to work on the industrial sites- if you can get the jist of what I am trying to say?!!
                  Tessie

Comment

I think I see what you mean, you think if you look at the neighbours it will help you would out if they all worked for the same company or person and help you work out if the house was tied to the job.

I have just had another look at 7 and 9 are both there, as are 6 and 10 depending on where you want to look. Just put Temeraire in the address search and it brings up the one you want, obviously a very unusual street name!
                    Last edited by claretaylor22; 08-06-09, 22:02.
                    Clare

Comment

Was there a naval connection?

Temeraire was the name of a famous fighting ship - there's a painting of it by Turner.

Christine

Comment

HI

but just remember that even on the actual image view you only get that households page you dont get it like with previous census years where you may get 3 or 4 households shown. So sadly that wont give any clues for you.

Do you know the mans name or where you wanting the address to find his name?

Just for the record I took a look at the image and it doesn't say Ind it says Irel when viewing the image on normal size it does look like Ind but blown up you can clearly see it shows Irel.

Because he comes from a country which is not in England or Wales the person must also note whether they are a Visitor or Resident and he states Resident.
                        Last edited by WendyP; 09-06-09, 10:32.
                        WendyP

Comment

ah I have got the trancript but not the image so it actually means country born: Ireland and that he is a Resident at the time thanks wendy!
                          hi christine, I haven't looked for him on war service records etc, but think I might now you have said that, however it says on the household original (which I have just purchased) engineers fitter, sm gas works, whatever/wherever that was/is!
                          Tessie

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                            however it says on the household original (which I have just purchased) engineers fitter, sm gas works, whatever/wherever that was/is!
                            Tessie
                            Hi Tessie, SM gas works means .........South Metropolitan Gas Works. You may find this website useful/interesting.

Talbot Brothers, Rotherhithe, c. 1930

Comment

thanks for the link susan!
                              tessie

Comment

Working...
                              X