doris fairchild/ tidball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doris fairchild/ tidball

I am hoping that someone out there might be able to help me solve a family research problem for me.
    My Uncle Leslie Francis Tidball married Doris Kathleen Fairchild (Born 1901 Okehampton UK) on March 1st 1928 at Teignmouth in District of Newton Abbott.
    A child was born name removed , Sept Qtr 1933 in the District of Totnes. This entry has the Mother spouse name of Fairchild.
    The marriage didn't last and broke up around this time.
    I would like to find out what become of Doris Kathleen Fairchild/ Tidball as well as what became of name removed.
    Did Doris ever remarry? When did she die etc?

Hoping someone can help.

tidders
    Last edited by Caroline; 07-06-09, 08:45. Reason: Possible living person
    researching Tidball, Toovey, Manley, Fairchild, Courtier, Debois, McConchie, Wardlaw

John is either still alive or died before 1984 as I can't find him on the ancestry death indexes.

Off to check anything else.
    Kit

Comment

I can't find a marriage or death on FreeBDM for either Doris or John.

You will need to trawl through the BMD indexes to see if you can find more details.
      Kit

Comment

Thanks Kit.
        I would love to solve this problem. I live in Australia, do you know if there is an electrol roll on line for uk that is fairly recent. John could very much be alive and I thought that maybe another option.

thanks tidders
        researching Tidball, Toovey, Manley, Fairchild, Courtier, Debois, McConchie, Wardlaw

Comment

If his mother did remarry even some time after hs birth, its quite possible to adopted his step fathers surname, and may not have been raised as a Tidball
          Jess

Comment

I have changed your post above, as the person may well still be alive.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

For recent electoral rolls, try here (although people can opt to have their name kept private):

People Search - People Finder - 192.com

Comment

There are two birth entries for a child of the name you gave with the right mother's maiden name, in Totnes in 1933 and 1941:

England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916-2005 - Ancestry.co.uk

In theory the first one could have died, and the second was given the same name, but I can't find a matching death. There is a death in Wales in 1935, but the child was aged 0, and it matches a birth in Cardiff.

The second one's a handwritten entry, but it doesn't refer back to the first entry, so I don't think it's a re-registration of the same person. Maybe someone who's familiar with re-registrations and adoptions could have a look to see if it makes any sense to them.

Comment

Ah, wait a minute, I think I've found something.

If you go to the link I gave you in my previous post, and put the child's first name and middle initial with no surname, and Fairchild as the mother's maiden name, you'll find two entries in Totnes in 1933 and 1941 with the same surname, which I expect is the second husband's surname.

It looks as though the birth was re-registered under both surnames in 1941.

Off to look for a marriage between 1933 and 1941.

Comment

thanks mary. i will give this a try. you never know.
                    tidders

Comment

the first husband was leslie tidball, not the second. i am sure leslie was not around in 1941.
                      not sure why it was re registered in 1941. i wonder if doris tidball or fairchild remarried around this time?
                      tidders

Comment

I'll send you a PM - I don't want to put the new name on here as the son's probably still alive.

Comment

Just to confirm, in case anyone else is searching, that the 1933 birth was definitely re-registered in 1941. I've PM'd tidders with the details. Not found a marriage yet, but I have a slow internet connection.

Comment

I've trawled for a marriage from mid-1933 to the end of 1942, but drawn a blank, so either they didn't marry at all, or they married after 1942.

Do you know when Uncle Leslie died? Unless he and Doris divorced, she may have remarried after his death.

If you don't have an Ancestry subscription, it'd be worth taking up the half-price offer they have on this month (an annual sub from ancestry.co.uk costs £40 odd instead of the usual £80 odd). There is also an Australian sub called UK Heritage, accessible from ancestry.com.au; that includes Aus records like passenger and convict records and electoral rolls as well as UK census and BMD records, but I'm not sure if the half-price offer applies to that sub.

If you don't want to pay for a sub at present you can take the 14-day free trial - you have to give your credit card information, but they don't take any money from your card if you cancel before the 14 days are up.

I think your next step is to get the birth cert for the 1941 re-registered birth, which should give you Doris's new partner's name, and an address.

You can also continue trawling the BMD index for a marriage and death for Doris and her new partner:

England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1837-1983 - Ancestry.co.uk
                            England & Wales, Death Index: 1837-1983 - Ancestry.co.uk
                            Search England & Wales, Death Index: 1984-2005 - Ancestry.co.uk

The death cert will give the name and address of the informant, which should be useful.

Comment

fantastic work Mary. You have given me heaps to work on now.
                              I am ok with what happened to Leslie after 1934/35.
                              I will reply to you on p/m.

thanks Mary from italy

tidders

Comment

Working...
                              X