Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John James Foster Sheffield Staynes - before his marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John James Foster Sheffield Staynes - before his marriage?

John James Foster Sheffield Staynes married Gertrude Thornley in Ashby De La Zouch, Leicestershire in 1883.

His father is named as Henry Staynes, a glass and china dealer.

(the witnesses are all related to Gertrude).

J J F S Staynes was born c1856 and christened in Feb 1856 in St Margarets, Leicester, Leicestershire. Christening on the IGI says his parents are Henry and Elizabeth.

Later censuses give his place of birth as St Margarets, Leicester / Leicester.

Thanks in advance for looking,

Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Hi Tom,

The birth was registered in the last quarter of 1855.

Sandra

Comment

Tom, have you looked at this one.

RG9; Piece: 2293; Folio: 88; Page: 2
      - 1861 Ancestry.co.uk

Father Henry seems to have the right occupation and the area is right - unfortunately children´s names don´t match!

I´ll see if I can find them in 1871
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Sandra, I knew I had seen that somewhere, but hadn't written it in FTM.

Thanks Elaine, it looks likely. I haven't been able to find anything that is more likely, so I suppose this could be them.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Arthur seems to be at school in Castle Donington in 1871.
          RG10/3550; Folio: 43; Page: 4

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is a possible death for father Henry
            Deaths Jun 1867
            Staynes Henry age 40
            Leicester 7a 143

- I wondered if mother remarried?

Found this one but cannot sort out the partners at the moment (and am now off to bed!)
            Marriages Mar 1871
            Brown Richard
            Langham John William
            Shingler Ann
            Staynes Elizabeth
            Leicester 7a 234
            Elaine

Comment

If it helps

Henry Staynes m Elizabeth Sheffield, Leicester, Sep Q 1853

What's John JFS Staynes occupation at marriage, does it say ? - oh its okay Glass and China Dealer, same as Dad - found a bit in the Times online

"Wills and Bequests
              Among the list of latest wills are the following
              STAYNES John James Foster Sheffield, of Ashby de la Zouch, Glass and China Dealer, gross value 14011 pounds, (net personally 10,966 pounds)"
              The Times 26 Jun 1935, p11.
              Last edited by dicole; 07-06-09, 06:35.
              Diane
              Sydney Australia
              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Henry Staynes glass dealer is listed in several directories of the 1850s and 1860s -

History, Gazetteer & Directory of Leicestershire & Rutland, 1863
                Leicester
                Staynes Hy, glass dlr, h 18 Princes St

Wrights Midland Directory 1864
                Market Place Leicester
                49 STAYNES, Henry and John, glass and china dealers
                49 STAYNES, Henry of H&J Staynes
                49 STAYNES, John of H&J Staynes

From the historical directories, it would appear that John carried on the business after Henry's death, then later John James Staynes appears as a glas and china dealer in Ashby de la Zouch. There are some adverts in the Kellys directories -

Historical Directories

but that does not explain why I can't find them in the census, earlier than 1881
                Diane
                Sydney Australia

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                  Henry Staynes glass dealer is listed in several directories of the 1850s and 1860s -

History, Gazetteer & Directory of Leicestershire & Rutland, 1863
                  Leicester
                  Staynes Hy, glass dlr, h 18 Princes St

Wrights Midland Directory 1864
                  Market Place Leicester
                  49 STAYNES, Henry and John, glass and china dealers
                  49 STAYNES, Henry of H&J Staynes
                  49 STAYNES, John of H&J Staynes
                  I have checked the 1861 census and 18 Princes Street is listed as unoccupied.
                  They are not listed in Market Place, St. Margaret's either - but there are quite a few entries of unoccupied and one or two listed as shops.
                  Elaine

Comment

If there's any chance they'd have been in Lutterworth area for 1861, then that might explain them being so elusive:
                    Missing Census Pages - Family Tree Forum

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

HI

Is it possible, that the young man shown in transcription as James Stayner bn circa 1856 Leicester, who is with his Uncle William Occ Currier aged 41 and Uncle John 40 Occ China and glass dealer both unmarried 1861 census. 1871 census James is in Warrington as an Aprrentice Glass Manufacture then in the 1881 back with his uncle John and also Arthur that apeared in that 186 that Elaine found for you. arthur is also shown as Nephew. Could he in fact be the man your after Tom?

I did check the 1851 census and found that both both the uncles were living with mum shown as Elizabeth and living at High Street Leicester.
                      Last edited by WendyP; 07-06-09, 14:59.
                      WendyP

Comment

Thank you everyone who has helped; you may have resolved the whole problem :D

I think you might have solved it Wendy... all I need to do now is check that William and Henry were brothers :D

Thanks again everyone for your help

Comment

Hi Tom

Happy to have helped. Lets hope it leads to a happy finding for you.
                          WendyP

Comment

The historical directories show two Staynes families in Leicester - one the Glass and China Dealers, the other Curriers. I would be surprised if William and Henry and John were not all related.

Congrats, Wendy, I tried lots of Staynes variations, but did not pick up STAYNER as a variation - must think more widely in future. That's why you are so good at the Generations Game !!

Di
                            Diane
                            Sydney Australia

Comment

Hi Dicole

Thanks for the compliment but I have'nt visited the Generations Game thread yet.
                              WendyP

Comment

Working...
                              X