coincidence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coincidence?

I have been looking for some time for the marriage of Thomas Aldred and Margaret Makin,which I thought would have taken place around 1835 as their first child James was born in 1836 (according to census records ) Also according to census records Thomas was born in Atherton Lancashire and Margaret in Tarbock Lancashire.I think I have found Margaret's baptism in 1815,father James,a farmer.Thomas Aldred was an ag.lab.
    Yesterday I came upon a marriage for a Thomas Aldred (carter) and a Margaret Makin in 1837 (May 8th) but in Liverpool.
    I have looked at census records for other Thomas Aldreds with Margaret to see if there were any in Liverpool but with no success.
    How can I determine if the above marriage is just a coincidence,or the one I am looking for?

hi

what you need is a copy from the parish register, it should say whether the bride or groom was OTP and if not what their respective home parishes were. This should hopefully help to tie them in, also if the marriage was by Licence it should give a possible father or guardians name, their might even be a bond that had to be paid.

hope this helps
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

It looks a good possibility. I see Tarbock is on the outskirts of Liverpool and perhaps that is where they were working at the time.

I have one in Nottingham where they married after 2 children but her father was dead and her mother had moved back to Glos. She must have got married around her 21st birthday as she had no-one to authorise it as she was underage.

Where was the first child born and any more they had. That might help making a decision.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Julie, it does say OTP,but I thought that perhaps if someone had lived in a place for a certain length of time they could say they were OTP.
        Lin,I have not found the baptism of the oldest child,James.The first is that of a child bap.20/8/1837 in Farnworth near Prescot.
        Thank you both for your replies.
        Fran

Comment

Fran

I had found the one in 1837 in Farnworth, also Peter in 1840 in Farnworth. I didn't know what info you already had.

They could well have been working in Liverpool then.
          Lin

Comment

Thanks Lin.I wish I could find James's baptism,although they could say they were married even if they weren't.
            Fran

Comment

I don't know lancs at all but just looked up Farnworth and it is near Atherton and on 1841 they are living in Huyton and I know that is near Liverpool so are they travelling back and forwards for the baps or Have I got 1841 wrong.

Also found some more Bap which I am sure you have.

James could have been bap under his mothers name, or not bap at all if she was a single woman.

Not much help but just giving you ideas to think about.
              Lin

Comment

Originally posted by fran View Post
                Julie, it does say OTP,but I thought that perhaps if someone had lived in a place for a certain length of time they could say they were OTP.
                I'm sure you are right.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Do the witness names at the marriage help?
                  Maybe they are siblings and you can find their baptisms to help link the group to a particular family.

Comment

Thanks everyone.Lin,I tried to find James under his mother's name,but no luck yet.
                    Thanks Uncle John.
                    Gwyn, one of the witnesses was Elizabeth Makin..Am looking into that.
                    Fran

Comment

Working...
                    X