Any idea of date please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea of date please

Please could anyone date this photo or say what uniform the man is wearing please

Margaret

Hi your couple date I think from the early 1890s, I'm looking at the style of her top and her hair. Your soldier is wearing his walking out gear, I suspect he is wearing a green uniform and is an artillery man, but there are others who know more about uniforms and may come along to help.....

Comment

late 1800,s ?brenda xxx

Comment

Sorry Barbara but he is not an Artillery man but a Lancer.

Comment

Thank you what regiment was a Lancer

Margaret

Comment

Hi all, Don I wasn't sure, how do I tell for sure?

Comment

Whoops, sorry Maggie, A lancer was a cavalry man, I think their lances began to disappear after the Boer war. they became tank regiments.
              Last edited by Just Barbara; 08-06-09, 14:03.

Comment

Barbara, the RA uniform was based on the Hussars tunic with the braiding running across the front of the jacket which would also have the buttons running down the centre and ending near the pointed base whilst the Lancers tunic blouse has a full plastron front with 16 buttons running down the outside of the plastron (eight either side) and the base of the jacket would finish in a straight line. The one thing that all three, (RA, Hussars, and Lancers) would have in common is that the colouring of the jackets would be dark blue (only one regiment of Lancers differs from this).

don

Comment

Thanks Don........

Comment

Hi Don and Barbara thank you for trying to help I really do not know who they are in the photo only thatmy husband found it with some old things of his fathers my OH never knew he had these things on the back of the photo it was taken in Hare Street Woolwich and this near to where we live now and where his family have all lived since 1900. So it must be someone in his family that is why I wanted to know the date to try and pin down who it is. His father was born 1899 and his mother was born 1897.

Margaret

Comment

Well I would say that that photo is someone's parents, the dates would fit beautifully....

Comment

seeing that the pill box hat that the lancer is wearing was replaced in 1903 by a cap then the dates would fit. Is the name of the photographer anywhere to be seen on the card at all?

don

Comment

Don on the back of the photo and I must stress it is very small it says C.W.A
                          20 Hare St. Woolwich & at Essex it says something else but I can't make it out as it seems cut off. His fathers family did come from Essex originally (Wethersfield). He knew his grandfather and mother on his fathers side not his mothers but don't beleive it was his mothers father and mother.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                          X