looking for ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for ...

arthur Ireland he died Jan 1958 in Bromsgrove but he did live in London area before this. Is there anyway we can find out who he was married to?

He lived with my nan & we don't think they were actually married yet she took his surname! My nan had 3 children wilfred, living persons name removed & living persons name removed by her husband James Goodger, they parted not sure if they ever got divorced, then she was with Arthur - i am told that when they adopted my mum my nan used the name Kate - or cate? which was Arthurs wife??
    This is all very confusing but we have been told that my mums mother is mary magee?
    My mum would like to find out more info on this if anyone can help us & point us in the right direction?

thanks
    wendy
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 06-06-09, 19:21. Reason: removal of living peoples names

How old was Arthur when he died? Have you looked for marriages for Arthur Ireland to a Kat* or Cat* anyone?

Has your mum got her original birth certificate?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Wendy,

I think this is your Nan's marriage:

Marriages Dec 1918

Surname / First name(s) / Spouse / District / Vol / Page

Goodger / James / Kirby / Aston / 6d 956
      Kirby / Nellie / Goodger / Aston / 6d 956

Kirby is the mother's maiden name given in the birth index for the three children, who were born in the Meriden district of Warwickshire, so this marriage should be correct. Are any of the three still alive? If so, you should delete their names, because we aren't allowed to post the names of living people without their consent.

Comment

we have been told that my mums mother is mary magee
        Do you mean her birth mother?

If you want to find out about birth mother, your mum can contact the local social services department to ask for access to her adoption file (assuming she was adopted after 1927 - there were no official adoptions before that).

Comment

I've just looked up Arthur's death, and he was 66 when he died, so this is probably his birth (at least, I can't find a closer match):

Births Sep 1894
          Ireland Arthur James / Pershore / 6c 313

and if I've got the right birth, this is almost certain to be his marriage:

Marriages Jun 1921
          Ireland / Arthur J / Southan / Pershore / 6c 359
          Southan / Gertrude A / Ireland / Pershore 6c 359

All this information is taken from the following free site:

FreeBMD - Search

Comment

That Arthur and his wife had one child, a boy, in 1923. I won't post his name here in case he's still alive.

Comment

This is Gertrude's birth:

Births Jun 1882
              Southan Gertrude Alice / Pershore / 6c 501

There's a possible death here, but the age is 5 years out:

Deaths Mar 1934
              Ireland Gertrude A / 57 / Warwick / 6d 1032

As the son would only have been 11 when she died, I assume he was brought up with the three Goodger children, depending on when your Nan got together with Arthur.

Comment

looking for...

Hello Mary from Italy

Wilfred is the only 1 of the 3 children that is now passed over. My mum has in the past tried a tracing service but they could come up with nothing. She was born in a nursing home for unmarried mothers in Evesham, however when mum put something in the local paper a person got in touch to say the place had, had a huge fire & everything was destroyed??
                My mum was born Dec 1943 - she has the name Mary Magee on her birth cert.

But Arthur is proving to be a pain really!! All i am told is he was from the London area & that my nan used his first wife's name. I'll have to sit & have a good chat with mum. Her 'sister' as we call her - nellies daughter that is still alive, she won't talk to mum about anything, we only know that she went with my nan to collect my mum.
                If you want to send me a private msg if it's easier to communicate there - that's fine by me.
                thanks for all your help
                xx

Comment

looking for...

Hello Little Nell

Thanks for your reply - i am so unsure of where to go & look! just really getting into this!
                  We are certain that nan never actually married Arthur - there seems to be a lot of secracy re these two people!
                  On mums birth cert it states Mary Magee as the motherbut thats all. I don't know if socail services will be able to help as the nursing home that mum was born in had a fire & a person from the local area told my mum some years ago that all documents had been destroyed?
                  my mum was born Dec 1943.

Nan as we called her also wouldn't talk to mum about her real mother. What my cousin told me is that my nan had a sister that went to live in Canada & that something went on as my nan told my cousin she would never ever for give her for what she did? whatever that meant - but my cousin was was in her teens & didn't really think about questioning my nan at the time. It's only now with mum wanting to find out anything she can.
                  Her mum won't talk to my mum about it also - my cousin has offeredto have a blood test done but this is quite a lot of money!! As there was a thought that maybe her mum being some 20+ yrs older than my mum that her mum could be mums mother - but we have dismissed this with her husband never being away on National Service for her to fall pregnant & have a baby in secret, but there is something that is not right but what i dont know!!

Comment

Hi,
                    From what you are saying am I right in thinking your mother was brought up by a relative and therefore not legally adopted? If she had been adopted there would be a file on her with the authorities and she could apply for the details - but it seems that this may not apply - is that right?
                    Margaret

Comment

looking for...

Hello Margaretmarch

My mum was adopted - not sure about this file - its never been mentioned?
                      I need to sit & get my mum round to mine & get this site up, I am very confused!

All i know is mum used a tracer some years back my late aunt gave her the money to see if they could find anything out but it all came back with nothing.

As far as i know mum was def adopted.

Comment

yep i think this is the marriage for my nan & her husband - i just need to get the wedding lines!

Comment

The law changed a few years ago, giving adopted people the right to see their adoption files. This may not have been the case when she used the tracing agency.

She can now contact the social services in the town where she lives (even if she was adopted in a different town), and they will locate the adoption file for her (if it still exists).

Unfortunately Mary Magee's quite a common name, and it's going to be practically impossible to find out anything about her without knowing her approximate date and place of birth.

Comment

You can order the marriage certificate online from the GRO:

Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service

It'll cost £7 if you quote the reference number I gave you.

Don't forget to tick the box on the first page saying that you know the reference number, otherwise they'll charge you more.

Comment

Hi

just spoke to my mum she says she was born in Cherrington House, Shipston-on-Stour, but she has said that she has tried Warick Records & after a few other attempts herself writting to local Social Services where she lived 3 yrs ago they have told her that there are no surviving documents. I have seen this myself in a letter from someone today & also she wrote to somewhere ?? i can't remember the place & they told her 'unless the birth mother was to agree they cannot help her'.....
                              I'll chat again with mum & see if she knows DOB/place for her birth mother.
                              thanks
                              wendy
                              x

Comment

Working...
                              X