Can't find confirmation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find confirmation

Hi, I'm new to this and can't find confirmation of Alexander Lessels c1803 (other spelling possibilities - Lesslis, lessils, lesils, lesslis) who married Elizabeth Durie c1805, possibly in St Andrews and St Leonards, Fife area.

Elizabeth Durie, age 40, on 1851 Census as daur to Margaret Durie (head) and there is also grandchild as Alex Lessels age 18.

I'll spell it out better as I know it:-

Alex Lessels c1803, Married, Eliz Durie c1805
    they had Alex lessels c1832, who married, Janet Mitchell c1831
    who had James Durie Lessels 1857-1944, married Grace Harris (my grandparents).

Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried Scotlands People which is a pay per view site but which is the best site for finding Scottish ancestors for parish records pre 1855 as well as statutory records for those records post 1855.

Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople

Also the Family Search site via LDS records will also give very good results for Scottish ancestors as most are extracted church. I extracted from LDS first and then used the Scotlands people site to confirm my findings.

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

Janet

Comment

Thanks Janet,

I tried both of those but being new to searching I may have missed something. There are sooo many Lessels, I hadn't realized that as my dad died when I was a small child and we lost contact with that side of the family.

I want to make sure I get the correct Alexander or I can't go any further in any direction.

but thanks.

Comment

This is the only Elizabeth Durie marriage on Scotlands People OPR index. The spouse is incorrect unless Elizabeth was married before.
        12/04/1822 DURIE ELIZABETH to JAMES AUCHTERLONIE FR5559 F St Andrews and St Leonards /FIFE
        Margaret

Comment

For Alexander Lessels birth the only one I can see for about the right time is this one
          09/02/1800 LESSELS ALEXANDER to WILLIAM LESSELS/JANE PRIDE FR197 M Cameron /FIFE
          The only other one is this
          31/12/1793 LESSELS ALEXANDER to ALEXANDER LESSELS/JANET AITKEN U Beath (Fife) /FIFE
          Hope that helps.
          Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by grannymac5 View Post

Elizabeth Durie, age 40, on 1851 Census as daur to Margaret Durie (head) and there is also grandchild as Alex Lessels age 18.

Why would the Elizabeth who married Alex Lessels (probably around 1830) be calling herself Durie in 1851?
            is that the right woman you have?
            Margaret

Comment

I've not had any luck on those 2 sites either for the parish register ones. I did come up with another variant spelling though, LESLS.

Your grandfather was definitely born in 1857 under yet another variation. That will confirm his parents, although I'm not certain it will give their marriage date and place. The details in that section varied in the early days, after the big bonus year of 1855. I think after about 1860 things standardised to what we have today.

LESSLES, James Durie 1857 St. Andrews and St. Leonards/FIFE

Comment

This is info I got from family members and I'm not sure it's right that's why I need to confirm it.
                My grandfather was James Durie Lessels (lesslis) - hense the 'Durie' I suppose.
                Did Elizabeth marry Alex?
                Why is Alex name as Lessels on 1851 census? It sounds like he is Mgt son - is he?
                All so confusing.

Comment

It's not unusual for married daughters who were visiting their parents (or staying with them in hubby's absence) to be listed as their maiden name. I've got quite a few of those type of entries both sides of the border. Have you looked at the original of the census? That will tell you if Elizabeth is married or not. You can't see that column on the transcriptions on ancestry. Although if the indexer has picked up on it, ancestry shows a wee yellow triangle with alternative surname. The triangles are also used if there's a doubt about spelling.
                  Last edited by GallowayLass; 05-06-09, 12:05. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by grannymac5 View Post
                    This is info I got from family members and I'm not sure it's right that's why I need to confirm it.
                    My grandfather was James Durie Lessels (lesslis) - hense the 'Durie' I suppose.
                    Did Elizabeth marry Alex?
                    Why is Alex name as Lessels on 1851 census? It sounds like he is Mgt son - is he?
                    All so confusing.
                    This Alex would be the one born c1832 wouldn't he? with an age of 18 in 1851 and if this is the right Elizabeth then he would be grandson to Margaret Durie. I was just worried about Elizabeth's name and maybe you are right that she never married Alex Lessels but had a child with him and somehow got his name registered as Lessels - you have got the 1832 Alex's birth cert haven't you?

Margaret

Comment

Is this the 1851 census
                      1851 DURIE ELIZABETH F 42 COLLESSIE /FIFE 416/00 001/00 001
                      Margaret

Comment

Parish: St Andrews; ED: 13; Page: 2; Line: 6; Roll: CSSCT1861_60; Year: 1861

This is the L[ESSELS] family in 1861 in the same place (Edenside) as you found Alexander in 1851. They are mistranscribed as LESLIE.
                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 05-06-09, 12:44. Reason: addition

Comment

Parish: Leuchars; ED: 2; Page: 6; Line: 8; Roll: cssct1881_123; Year: 1881.

This time the family is LESSLIS in Corrack Cottage, Leuchars, Fife

Comment

They are still in Leuchars in 1891. The name is LESSELS

Parish: Leuchars; ED: 2; Page: 6; Line: 21; Roll: CSSCT1891_137; Year: 1891

Comment

Again in Leuchars in 1901 as LESSELS. Janet would appear to be dead. Can't tell from transcription.

Parish: Leuchars; ED: 2; Page: 3; Line: 15; Roll: CSSCT1901_143; Year: 1901

Comment

Are you in luck or what? Alexander and Janet married in the first year of registration.

1855 LESSLIE, Alexander and MITCHELL, Janet St. Andrews Burgh/Fife That will definitely give you proof of his parents and hers.

You need to get yourself credits on Scotlands People and get stuck in. Good luck!!

Comment

If you haven't already got a copy of your grandparents' marriage I'd not bother trying to find it via the husband. Leave his surname blank and put James D in the forenames box and search for the bride HARRIS and Grace. They surely can't have misspelled her name.

Comment

No haven't found his definite Birth Cert yet but he is mentioned on James Durie Lessles birth cert (my grandfather)

Comment

That's what I'm doing right now, wading through records to try to get conf.

Comment

Just catching up on some of your posts. I already have some of the info but there are a couple of leads there. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X