Brickwall has crumbled a little.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brickwall has crumbled a little.

I posted back in January about my search for likely parents of Charles Albert Terry (b 1909). The mother, Agnes Rose Terry (nee Culver) registered his birth, stating his father to be Albert Victor Terry, stonemason journeyman. I've been unable to find a marriage for them, but I am 99% certain that I have the right mother. The only Agnes R Culver in any Census returns lived in Broad Oak, near Canterbury. I have discovered that the occupants of the house where the baby was born were Agnes (confusingly) - born in Adlington, Kent and Thomas Tye. My reasoning - the only Agnes to marry a Thomas Tye was an Agnes Clarke, born in Adlington (Ag.Rose's mother, Rose, was a Clarke); the Tyes had a son - William on the 1901 Census, whose middle name was Gladish (Ag.Rose's grandmother's maiden name).

As I've said before, I'm a novice - but does this sound rational? If it does, then there's a glimmer of light for one parent, BUT how do I get the same break through with Albert Victor Terry? Is it likely that it was the one living less than two miles away from Agnes in 1901/1911? If stonemason journeyman wasn't a flight of fancy on Ag.Rose's part, how likely is it that a man who was a bricklayer in 1901 and a coalmerchant/butcher in 1911, would have been a stonemason - would there have been any records? As I said before, this Albert's father was Charles, which might explain the baby's names. Any ideas - please?

It's not unknown for parents to be "promoted" for the purposes of registration - especially for weddings. Or maybe he had trouble getting stonemason work, and had to get what he could, for whatever reason.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by julite View Post
      I posted back in January about my search for likely parents of Charles Albert Terry (b 1909). The mother, Agnes Rose Terry (nee Culver) registered his birth, stating his father to be Albert Victor Terry, stonemason journeyman. I've been unable to find a marriage for them, but I am 99% certain that I have the right mother. The only Agnes R Culver in any Census returns lived in Broad Oak, near Canterbury. I have discovered that the occupants of the house where the baby was born were Agnes (confusingly) - born in Adlington, Kent and Thomas Tye. My reasoning - the only Agnes to marry a Thomas Tye was an Agnes Clarke, born in Adlington (Ag.Rose's mother, Rose, was a Clarke); the Tyes had a son - William on the 1901 Census, whose middle name was Gladish (Ag.Rose's grandmother's maiden name).

As I've said before, I'm a novice - but does this sound rational? If it does, then there's a glimmer of light for one parent, BUT how do I get the same break through with Albert Victor Terry? Is it likely that it was the one living less than two miles away from Agnes in 1901/1911? If stonemason journeyman wasn't a flight of fancy on Ag.Rose's part, how likely is it that a man who was a bricklayer in 1901 and a coalmerchant/butcher in 1911, would have been a stonemason - would there have been any records? As I said before, this Albert's father was Charles, which might explain the baby's names. Any ideas - please?

Hello
      Is the albert victor terry you are looking at born in 1889. If so he's likely on BMD in Canterbury in Dec 1884 2a 835. His father is the Bricklayer according to FMP and James Terry. There is a brother called Charles. I see Albert on 1911 but I have no credits, James is from Sevenoaks. Hope this helps. I can't see a marriage, though two are possible in 1900 and 1911 they don't make sense.
      Buttercup

Comment

Christine and Buttercup -
        Thanks for the replies. Do you think my thoughts re the identity of Agnes Rose are rational?

With regard to the father - he is named on the birth certificate as Albert Victor Terry. There is - in the 1901 Census, someone with this name living with his parents, Charles and Pleasant, at the Sewage Works in Sturry about 2 miles from Ag.R's home. He was a bricklayer. (so I don't think it's the one Buttercup found). He's in the same place in the 1911 Census, but this time, a butcher and coal merchant.

If poor Ag.R was making up the name of the father, would she have been so precise with the middle name? Given the proximity of their homes, I'm sure she knew of the existence of Al.V, so would have been taking a risk, using that name without cause - or so I would have thought.

I would love to know where the baby was between his birth and the 1911 Census, where he was identified as a boarder, with a couple whose name he subsequently took.

So three queries!
        1. How likely is my reasoning for Ag.R?
        2. What are the chances of my having the right Al.V?
        3. Is there any way of finding out the whereabouts of baby Charles Albert, between birth and the 1911 Census?

Comment

Working...
        X