No announcement yet.

Seem to have lost my wireless network?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seem to have lost my wireless network?

Hi

Since I have been messing about trying to sort out my pathetic broadband "speed" the laptop that used to be able to pick up my wireless connection can't connect anymore.

Laptop can find my neighbours' wireless networks but not mine.

I don't THINK I changed anything on the router - I started to instal some downloaded firmware but stopped when a settings page seemed to get stuck - I feared losing my connection altogether.

I am just about to save everything to an external hard drive; then I'll be back.

On my pc, there only seems to be a LAN network? Would I have had another before? I think the laptop used to find one called DLink wireless?

Or maybe I should wait until the bb speed problem has been sorted?

Sorry for waffling, and thanks for reading.

Jen xx
    "I try to take one day at a time but sometimes lots of days attack me at once"

;)

How to Set up a D-Link Wireless Router | eHow.com

have a look at this link good luck

Comment

I had problems recently with a new router and getting the wireless network to show and the help desk for my broadband provider helped me remotely to get it sorted - is that something you can ask?
      Margaret

Comment

First - power down the wireles router of your network and restart it.

If that fails - Have you turned off the SSID broadcast of your wireless network and then told the laptop to remove the network?

Try going into system devices and deleting your wireless network adaptor. Restart and let Windows re-detect the adaptor. If you've turned off SSID broadcast then you'll either have to know the network name and manually reconnect to it or turn it back on temporarily until you reconnect.

The easiest way to alter the settings, now that you can no longer see the router would be to use an ethernet cable to connect your laptop to the back of your router. Once you do that, you'll be able to see it.
        Last edited by jaydax; 05-06-09, 10:11.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Jaydax - would I leave the pc on and unplug the router, or does it count if I switched the pc & the router off together?

I may have turned off SSID but I have no idea how, or how to turn it back on!

:o

Is the wireless netwrok adaptor the extra bit that goes in the laptop? As I never set that up, I just let the laptop look for wireless networks and it found four, including mine, then I had to put a password in the laptop the first time.

Ethernet cable - is that the blue one, lol, and if I attach it to the laptop the pc won't be able to connect will it?

I am still waiting for madasafish to reply to my "yes I have checked the test socket with a telephone - no noise"

Anyway, thanks again - I think I might just contact BT and get them to bring and install a homehub. :(

Jen xx
          "I try to take one day at a time but sometimes lots of days attack me at once"

;)

Comment

Working...
          X